• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do about a failed install?

unclebun

https://www.graphic-express.com/med...8eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/3/m310-h_1.jpg

If you had dimensions you could probably recreate it from this.

I'll disagree with those who said you can't wet apply a 1/4" stripe. I've done it before, but in this case if you had done as the instructions say and started wet by soaking the hood with your application fluid, you'd have managed to pull it off, even with the calendared vinyl. It makes it take forever, but it would work. Soak the hood with the fluid, then with a helper, remove the backing paper from the whole graphic and carefully lay it in place on the hood, using the central ridge as a guide. Then starting from the middle, start squeegeeing the fluid out to the sides, working up to the windshield first, then down to the grille. It takes forever because the wet vinyl won't want to stay stuck, and you have to keep squeegeeing and squeegeeing. At first it will seem like it will never lay down, but as it gets drier it will. Even then, you can't pull the application tape off (or you will ruin the 1/4" stripes). You either have to wait a long time until it's really dry, or when you're certain it's stuck enough, spray the whole top of the application tape, let it stand 30 seconds to a minute, and then squeegee it. Then spray another coat of application fluid and while it's soaking wet, carefully remove it.

It goes without saying that you have to do this indoors with the engine cold.

CanuckSigns

According to the graphic express website, they only use 2 mil cast vinyl, mostly 3M but also oracal 951 if they need a certain colour. Both of these would have the make and series of vinyl written on the backer paper, can you confirm if the vinyl you installed had this? If not I would have your uncle contact them and get them to ship out the product they advertise.

Now having said that, if you are used to installing proper wrap films, even a good quality 2 mil vinyl is going to behave much differently than you are used to, there is no air release channels, no snap up adhesive, none of the properties that make wrap films easy to use.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You almost have to give the guy his money back and tell him to go elsewhere. I nearly installed some vinyl from Russia a couple months back. I declined and I'm glad I did. Even though he said he would not hold me liable, if I had ruined it, my conscience would tell me to replace it.

I haven't been in business very long but I've noticed these car people are always trying to save a buck and are more picky than businesses. I no longer feel bad for turning these jobs down. Of course I get suckered in sometimes LOL
Good thing you refused the Russian stuff - if you had taken it you might have been called in to testify in the Mueller probe.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
After seeing the photo I agree with unclebun on the wet install. Get it lined up on the center line & put some grease pencil reference marks. Flood the hood and just mist the sticky side of the graphic. Lock the center down on the marks and squeegee it out from there before the mask has time to let the 1/4 stripe go.
I did a series of OEM Chevy Colorado stripe kits that were premasked quality matt vinyl without air release. They pretty much had to be done wet as they were precut to fit the body lines on the hood, tailgate and doors. The first one I thought came out flawless but the Chevy manager called me down to the showroom to ask about 3 tiny micro-dots of what looked like dust under the vinyl on the hood. Those three dots that were so small they could have been floating in the air or small enough to pass through the filter in the spray bottle were all that he could find wrong in the 6 panels I installed. Told him to bring in another hood panel and I'd pay for it and replace the first one. They sold the truck without a change out and had us do the rest......

Last edited:

equippaint

Looks pretty straight forward from my house. I was expecting something complicated with all this back and forth. This is a perfect application for 951, no reason to need wrap material. The guy could be selling cheaper stuff but hes not but everyone on here was quick to smear him over installation error. He has good reviews for selling a good product.

ikarasu

This would be easy to do for a semi-seasoned guy.

Not trying to knock you, but any experienced installer can look at vinyl and tell if it's air release or cheap Chinese stuff and decide on the best route of application.

Wrapping and applying decals is a skill... Every wrap is different and you need to learn to read the vinyl to get a good install... Something which comes with experience.

Also... Money is great... But never do a job you can't afford to fix yourself. I'm sure if you're as broke as your letting on, a few bucks is really tempting... But when things go wrong, and even a seasoned installer who wraps everyday has things go wrong.... You need to own up to it, family member or not.

I'd talk to the seller. Send them photos - they seem like a small shop...maybe, just maybe they'll give you the cut file to cut it yourself out of your preferred vinyl. If not.. They sell replacement pieces for cheap, or free depending what you need if you prove you bought it within a year.... So they'll likely sell you one for cheap.

I presume you work in a shop that does wraps... If so ask for someone's help to install the new decal.

Bly

And this is why we never install anything we don't produce in house.
You've got no idea what the hell kind of material it is and when it goes tits up you have to pay for the re do.
We've learnt some expensive lessons along the way. At least this didn't cost too much.

Also jobs you do on the cheap for friends or relatives always seem to be the worst for some reason..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I attempted this install all in one piece. I couldn’t split it because the pin stripe contour was solid all the way around.

Thanks Texas....I will message the seller and see if I can get anywhere.

Andy, that would be a great idea, unfortunately I pulled it off before he left the garage. That install money was gonna help pay a power bill, and I was frustrated and not thinking clearly.

Thanks everyone for your help, and constructive criticism. I will be an owner one day, no matter what Gino thinks about me;)

Keep this post with you and use it and me as incentive. That's the first good thing I heard from you in this entire thread. You can do it. Just think it through and don't give up. You can do it.

Bevets

Number A: You're correct. I couldn't pass up $50. The struggle is real, I don't make much money.
Letter B: He's not my uncle. He's my uncle's brother. I had never officially met him before this job.
How about contacting the seller of the Kit, and specify the vinyl you would like it printed on?

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I have been watching this site for many years. Sometimes I think Gino is a jerk, sometimes I think Gino is a genius,
But I will say this, GINO doesn't pull punches and calls it like it is. He is one of the true professionals on this site.

If you want to be a PROFESSIONAL you will have to realize that sometimes things go WRONG.
When they do YOU have to stand behind your work and reputation and do what it takes to make it right.
We as professionals have to eat crow, cough up the doe, and move on.

I would HAVE to repay him for the material that I ruined and apologize. ONLY then would I refuse to try again.

Running a business isn't just about doing the work and collecting the money. YOU are taking Responsibility for someone else's property when working on it.
That decal was his property and unfortunately you ruined it. You could actually consider yourself lucky. IF that car had an inferior paint job you could have pulled the paint right off the hood when you ripped the decal off, then he would be looking for a $1000 to repaint the hood. ( if your lucky )

There are risks with every business, ours are no exception.

HulkSmash

You lost me at "doing stuff on the side"

Conflict of interest for the company who hired you, and put hundreds of hrs into training and investing in you.

your install failed, fix it. Move on.