• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do.... oh, what to do..........................

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Oh, my bad head. Besides coyotes, fox and people the turkeys next worst woodland enemy?

Crows.

Locals Find!

When I was in the Air Force they used to use shotgun blanks for scaring the birds away from the flight line so you wouldn't get a bird sucked up into an engine of a billion dollar machine.

I assume the same thing would work for turkeys. No danger to the turkeys or the neighbors when your firing the blanks up into the air. Will make all the noise of a shotgun without the destructiveness.

threads1

Hey Gino........the large group will disperse as soon as mating season is over. Also, you could re-locate their eating area buy getting some cracked corn from a farm supply and spread it out somewhere that won't bother you. You might have to do that every 2 to 3 days but that should keep their attention focused on that spot. Trust me...they will find it. Good Luck.

Marlene

take a look here to see if anything here will help

www.birdcontrolpro.com

I went to bing.com and typed in "scare away wild turkeys" and this was one of the things that came up.

I commend you for looking for a no-kill way to get them to move on

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ah-ha..................

Problem solved. :rock-n-roll:

Customer came in last night and we went over his needs and in passing I told him about my predicament. He made a phone call and I'll have 3 bricks of fire crackers by this Saturday.... delivered to me. 80 packs of 16 crackers to a brick.... that's almost 4,000 crackers.

fire crackers.jpg

I can't wait. That should be like the shotgun blast which is what I was looking for to begin with.
Thanks all for your help. I'll try to take some pictures of these guys flying around................ :thankyou:
By the way threads......... they don't disperse..... anyway, not around our place. Right now the flock is small because all the hens are on the nests, but in a few weeks, they'll be here in full force with their little ones. Some of the jakes will wander off, but the majority of them stay right here where all the food is plentiful. I want to do this before I scare the kaka out of them thar little uns.

Last edited:

cptcorn

adad
Gino,

The other option is to do some research on this particular bird, and figure out which predator hunts them the most. Order up some urine of that animal, which is highly concentrated, sprinkle that around the areas they frequent, and they;ll keep their distance.

I had a problem with skunks. Put some fox urine all around, they beelined it out of the area quick.

btropical.com

Is this a contest ? Coyote call will rid you of them , ( Peta people beware of next line )or you can put treble hooks on a 4 x 8 old sign board cover with corn and capture the whole clan <old school hunt trick> . We have turkeys on our hunt property but i don' shoot or treble hook them to much work to eat. keep the treble hook idea in the back of your mind incase of a Zombie apocolypse

knucklehead

Gino, just to be on the safe side, I would suggest contacting your local game warden, and telling them what you're planning on doing. Around here, they take harassing the wildlife pretty seriously, which is what they would call it. Even in your own backyard. And the turkeys especially. They may even relocate em for ya. People who aren't around wild turkeys just don't realize how destructive they can be. Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks cpt, but that stuff really doesn't work. We've tried it to keep the rabbits away by using fox and coyote urine. Other than stinking up our hands..... you can't spread enough of that stuff around to keep jack-chit away.

Living out where we do, we've managed to put up with Mother Nature and her animals as much as possible without upsetting the natural habits of the wildlife. We have pheasants and fox and even one or two coyotes along with poisonous snakes and as long as they don't interfere with us, we don't interfere back. The squirrels are a big nuisance and I thin them out from time to time along with rabbits. However, these turkeys are just so frickin' stupid, they just won't try to help. I've put up several barriers and recently a 130' lattice fence. Nothing seems to work. So, I'm gonna try the fire crackers and imitate gun fire and hopefully that will persuade them to leave.

I even put a sign up telling them they couldn't congregate around particular areas...... and they still just do as they please. :doh:

The game warden said he doesn't have enough help to help us. Nice guy. :rolleyes:

If we had someone that could clean a turkey, believe me, I think we'd be shooting them, but since we aren't gonna eat the kill, I just want to send them on their way without hurting them.

Pat Whatley

So if you combine all of these ideas all you've got to do when you see turkeys is run out the door in a bath robe, shower cap and bunny slippers, weilding an airhorn, potato gun, and bow & arrow, while throwing firecrackers at the turkeys to distract them until you can pee on them.

That ought to do it.

showcase 66

Dry Ice
Soda bottle with cap
Little water.

Put the dry ice in the bottle with a little water close the lid toss it and get away. After it blows Turkey's will be gone.