• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What to do with a damaged ai file?

chorizo

I was working with the AI file when my system crashed due to a power failure. After whenever I tried to open the file, it displays an error message that says, "the AI file format is corrupted". The file is corrupted and cannot be repaired."I'm using Adobe Illustrator 10. What should I do for this problem?

dypinc

What power failure, the computers power supply? If it was line power and you are not use a UPS that is plain ignorant.

You can try to see if you can open it in Acrobat or Preview and resave but most likely it is hosed. If you are using a UPS I guess you will just have to learn the hard way.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I was working with the AI file when my system crashed due to a power failure. After whenever I tried to open the file, it displays an error message that says, "the AI file format is corrupted". The file is corrupted and cannot be repaired."I'm using Adobe Illustrator 10. What should I do for this problem?

See if there is a .tmp file that registers as a PDF file to the system. It will usually look like this "ACR11002477761344678358.tmp" and will be in the same folder as the file that you were working on, assuming you saved it before the crash. This has worked for me often, since the latest CC update for Illustrator will crash continuously if I save to a network folder. I have to do "save as..." everytime I save in order to keep the program from crashing. Good Luck

pupsgear

What power failure, the computers power supply? If it was line power and you are not use a UPS that is plain ignorant.

You can try to see if you can open it in Acrobat or Preview and resave but most likely it is hosed. If you are using a UPS I guess you will just have to learn the hard way.
Don't be a jerk

particleman

Postscript based files can be opened in a text editor and viewed, what you'll likely find is the file will abruptly end which means it was in the middle of writing the file to disk when the power failed. Files are written sequentially from start to end. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to recover it since some or all of the actual design may not exist in the file.

midwife111

Place the damaged Illustrator file in a new Illustrator file.

Important: This solution doesn't work if you didn't select Create Compatible PDF File in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box when you saved the original file. On the Macintosh platform, the damaged Illustrator file may appear dimmed in the Place dialog box, but you will still be able to select it and place it in the new Illustrator file.

1. In Illustrator, choose File > New.

2. Select the appropriate size and color mode, and then click OK.

3. Choose File > Place.

4. In the Place dialog box, choose All Formats from the Files of Type pop-up menu (Windows) or choose All Documents from the Show pop-up menu (Mac OS), choose the damaged file, and then click Place.

5. Name and save the file.

or you can try to use recover Illustrator online

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
sorry to hear that. if you design a power backup is a MUST! i even got two computers; 1 for print/rip and the other to design.
I hate if 1 would crap out and makes my system crash.

Also very important on the print computer: turn off the automatic windows update! it restarted my computer a few times during printing before i realized what happened