• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do with DWG and DXF...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey, guys.

I have a logo from a customer that they supplied, and they can only send it in DWG and DXF formats. The problem that I'm running into is when I bring it into corel, the lines are segmented...

Is there any way around this other than redrawing the thing?

signmeup

Have you tried welding the segmented lines? I discovered a few days ago that you could weld lines together.
I found that sometimes DXF files were mirrored when I imported them to Corel as well.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Have you tried welding the segmented lines? I discovered a few days ago that you could weld lines together.
I found that sometimes DXF files were mirrored when I imported them to Corel as well.

I tried and it went all wonky...

But you got me to thinking, so I converted the outlines to objects, then deleted the original line.

Thought it was going to work like a charm, until I took a close look at the arcs...then I realized that they all flatlined...

Well, I'm back to redrawing from scratch.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Darn Architects.

Actually, my customer does something with weapons systems...I'm not really sure...

The problem is that people are so snowed to think that AutoCAD is so great...

I went to night school to learn to use it, and was really proficient with it, and thought that it was all that, but when I saw how it really didn't play well with other programs, and saw what the sign programs had going, I changed my mind...

signmeup

I got started with computers drawing plans for airplane models with a cad program. I love how cad software handles things. CAD makes sense to me. I've tried to make Corel draw as much like a cad program as possible. CorelCAD sounds awesome! (I'm such a dork)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Depending on what he sent you - you may be able to get lines & arcs out of the dwg/dxf file. Need to see what you are dealing with.
A program like rhino3d can take a 2d dwg/dfx and output nice vectors to use in Corel with little or no clean up.
One other question - are you going to cut or print this logo?

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

Actually, my customer does something with weapons systems...I'm not really sure...

The problem is that people are so snowed to think that AutoCAD is so great...

I went to night school to learn to use it, and was really proficient with it, and thought that it was all that, but when I saw how it really didn't play well with other programs, and saw what the sign programs had going, I changed my mind...

I here ya. The truth is AutoCad was my software of choice at my old old job. I used to design electronic floor plans and wire diagrams for an electronic systems company. (boring.... :Big Laugh) But I think in your case it isn't necessarily the software that is the issue but the way the people that use that software generally operate it.

Things may have changed since I stopped using autocad, but back then people weren't using the software to create vector shapes that you could fill with color, they were creating line drawings, so the line segments didn't need to connect.

Now that I make signs I realize that autocad is not the right tool for this type of work. It always irks me when architects think they can design signs for their building projects and send almost unusable files, when they should just allow sign makers to just do their job.

:thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Now that I make signs I realize that autocad is not the right tool for this type of work. It always irks me when architects think they can design signs and send almost unusable files, when they should just allow sign makers to just do their job."

Counter point - a cad program is a very nice plus for the sign industry.
Not so much for the 2d graphics design part but very useful for everything from 3D presentation graphics, shop drawing, materials lists, cnc file output, engineering elevations for permit approval etc...

wayne k
guam us

Joe Diaz

"Now that I make signs I realize that autocad is not the right tool for this type of work. It always irks me when architects think they can design signs and send almost unusable files, when they should just allow sign makers to just do their job."

Counter point - a cad program is a very nice plus for the sign industry.
Not so much for the 2d graphics design part but very useful for everything from 3D presentation graphics, shop drawing, materials lists, cnc file output, engineering elevations for permit approval etc...

wayne k
guam us

Yeah I guess I was talking about logo design in relationship with signs, since that is what the OP was working with. But point taken. Actually, I prefer a "cad" program that does a lot of those things plus does a hell of a job with 2d graphic design. However, I do wish the more traditional sign software had some MORE of those really nice autocad tools. :thumb:

I remember when Corel took a cue from autocad's osnap and added one of my favorite tools: snap to objects, Or when it started incorporating dimensional tools. :thumb:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Take it into Illustrator, export as an .eps.

AutoCAD is good....I use it along with Illy and SignLab. Each program brings something to the party that the other's don't.

If I had my way, I'd roll everything good about each one of them into one seamless packge.

JB

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Take it into Illustrator, export as an .eps.

AutoCAD is good....I use it along with Illy and SignLab. Each program brings something to the party that the other's don't.

If I had my way, I'd roll everything good about each one of them into one seamless packge.

JB

I agree with the theory but it seems that in reality when a program bloats up to try and cover every tool someone could want it ends up being second rate in just about everything it does.
My prime whipping boy for this is Flexisign, it is sold as a complete design solution, but anything more than basic bitmap editing with it is a waste of time.
Programs that focus on a limited set of tools and do them better than anyone else are pure gold.

wayne k
guam usa

V-ENGRAVE

Ask your customer to send you WMF format. I get it all the time from my clients and imports fine.

When they send me DXF I found out that there were 21 vector lines on top of each other. Try to cut with laser and runs 21 passes...... what a mess.

LittleSnakey

Have them save it as version 12 dxf from autocad.

It will keep the curves that way. This will work I do it all the time

Hey, guys.

I have a logo from a customer that they supplied, and they can only send it in DWG and DXF formats. The problem that I'm running into is when I bring it into corel, the lines are segmented...

Is there any way around this other than redrawing the thing?

Impact Image

Ask your customer to send you WMF format. I get it all the time from my clients and imports fine.

When they send me DXF I found out that there were 21 vector lines on top of each other. Try to cut with laser and runs 21 passes...... what a mess.

^^^^^

What he said...only my machine cuts with a raser.