• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do with old non fully working printers

DirtyD

I have a jv3 130 sp2 it doesnt really work anymore.. I also was given a Seiko ColorPainter 64s an older model that sat forever so I'm sure the heads are all dried and when powered on it tells me to replace ink cartridges before I can even try a test print - anyway I don't want these.. what to do with them try and part them out or take them to a dump? I had no hits on craigslist -

FatCat

If you or someone you know is in the market for a new machine, many new companies offer a "trade in" credit for turning in any printer above 54" wide - even if it doesn't work. I think most recently Mutoh was offering a $4000-5000 deduction off the price of a new printer. But otherwise, yes, parting it out is really the only other option unless you give it away to someone.

lgroth

Post them in the classifieds forum on here... With all the printers everyone here has I'm sure someone has these models in operation and may be interested in taking them off your hands for the spare parts they can scavenge for theirs.

Craigslist is hard. Especially in smaller areas. The free section of craigslist will go like crazy if you just want to get rid of them. Ebay will get you to a larger audience. Ebay would be the way I would go. You can always do local pick up only. No Delivery or delivery to local only.

HulkSmash

step 1
remove motherboard, copy SN for rebates on new printer.

step 2
throw printer in oversized dumpster.

DirtyD

I'm leaning towards parting out what I know is good and posting on ebay...unless I give them free on ebay... can you just throw out something that has dried eco solvent in it though?

It depends on your state. If there are laws against throwing away ewaste or not. Ewaste is anything with electronic componenets. The printheads have chips in them that are "hazardous" The dried ink shouldn't matter where you throw it away. It's like dry paint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It depends on your state. If there are laws against throwing away ewaste or not. Ewaste is anything with electronic componenets. The printheads have chips in them that are "hazardous" The dried ink shouldn't matter where you throw it away. It's like dry paint.

Hey...... wait a minute. Are you saying dried paint is Okay to throw it away ?? I didn't know that. When did that happen ?? Really.... when ?? :omg:

Hey...... wait a minute. Are you saying dried paint is Okay to throw it away ?? I didn't know that. When did that happen ?? Really.... when ?? :omg:

Most states allow you to dump dried paint into trash cans. Some don't allow oil-based paints and some don't allow oil or latex. You would have to check with your state. In california you can dump dried latex paint but not oil-based. Other states are a lot more linient. We used to take all our old stripping paint and pour it out on a tarp with some 4x4 all around so it doesn't leak and sun dry and then fold it all up and throw it away.

Billct2

Yep, dried paint is Ok here too. If it's not already solid in the can we pour it over the stuff in the dumpster to dry it.

Mike001

Convert it to a computer controlled fully automatic vacuum cleaner?

Edit: I think that may be the wine talking.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Here they make the old non fully working printers sweep the floors, clean the rest rooms & get coffee.
Once they get too old to do that they get recycled and the company hires new printers.
(I'm still hanging in there with the clean up crew but I won't last forever)

wayne k
guam usa

Gene@mpls

I would be interested in the media rollers in the back if they are over 54". If you want to part with them PM me please. Gene

stevenjowens

If you just want to get it out of your shop, offer it on Craigslist, pretty sure somebody will take it to part it out.

I've been thinking about looking for old printers for this purpose, not for repairing other printers, but for salvaging parts to donate to the local hackerspace (hackpgh.com) for their projects.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I always look on CL for deals on used printers, but don't remember seeing your Mimaki?
Can you PM me details on it and what you want for it?