• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what to do

mtmdesigns

i ran into a adobe 7 font collection of around 7000 fonts starting with o1digitall and ending in zombie does anyone know, or have an easier way to look at the fonts ie: catalog or can i buy a book with them all printed out or what do you suggest. thanks

Whit

You need a font manager of sorts !!!
There are several out there,,, but,,,
it's a matter of prefference which
works best for you !!!

mtmdesigns

is there a book you would suggest that has fonts where i can show the customer without having my computer present?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The best approach is not to ever show a customer a printed type book at all. 999 times out of 1000 when their eyes finally stop glazing over they will just pick the boldest font on the page. You can literally add hours to a sales session and even lose a sale by showing someone a huge book of fonts.

Then there's the likely issue that you are looking at a collection of clones which have all been renamed to be immune from being sued by the real font creators. This will make you life difficult anytime you are recreating existing creative selections. The customer specifies a font named Palette, for example, and you have to wonder if Pot Luck is the same font.

So to answer your original question:

• There is no such book because no foundry or even an alliance of foundries has a library of 7,000 fonts. Even Adobe's Font Folio is only about 3,000 fonts strong.
  • Secondly, even if they did, the names would be different and you would get minimal use out of the book.

mtmdesigns

thanks for the advice fred. i might have jumped to things with the 7000 i believe it is adobe's font folio 7. What do u do when a customer sits next to you while your trying to designs his logo.. 90% of the time I tell them i will come up with something, but then there are those guys that just won't go away.. Have any tricks?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
designsbymtm said:
thanks for the advice fred. i might have jumped to things with the 7000 i believe it is adobe's font folio 7. What do u do when a customer sits next to you while your trying to designs his logo.. 90% of the time I tell them i will come up with something, but then there are those guys that just won't go away.. Have any tricks?
What I do is to serve as a guide and consultant to get him into a type selection within 5 minutes. Aside from a good familiarity with the font resources I have available, I use Typograf as an aid in the process. With that software, I simply enter the text string that will be used and navigate into one of many folders of fonts which I have divided up by generic classification.

The customer immediately becomes fully engaged and is able to relate his tastes and preferences while I continue to serve a guide to a good typeface selection. This process happens less than 10% of the time but when it does this is, to me, the most effective way to handle it.

Usually, in just a few minutes, the client has not only selected a typeface but also views me as a wizard and would not even consider going elsewhere for his signs, decals or labels.

Attachments

• typograf.jpg
    typograf.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 81

Baz

designsbymtm said:
What do u do when a customer sits next to you while your trying to designs his logo..

You dont design his logo!!!

designsbymtm said:
but then there are those guys that just won't go away

Show them the door!!!

mtmdesigns

well i would show them the door but i just left a good paying production manager job so i need the biz.. Anyhow thanks fred i appreciate you takin some time for me.