• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What type of material to Create Helicopter (or Aviation) N numbers?

zebradog

I recently had a request to create a pair of N numbers for a helicopter. We've done boat registrations previously, but no aviation numbers. They asked for black (plotted) or silver with black shadow (assume digital print with lamination). Does anyone have an idea of what type of vinyl to use? Does it have to be high grade wrap vinyl? Special vinyl for aviation? I haven't found anything online yet. Thanks in advance. Scott

AKwrapguy

I recently had a request to create a pair of N numbers for a helicopter. We've done boat registrations previously, but no aviation numbers. They asked for black (plotted) or silver with black shadow (assume digital print with lamination). Does anyone have an idea of what type of vinyl to use? Does it have to be high grade wrap vinyl? Special vinyl for aviation? I haven't found anything online yet. Thanks in advance. Scott

3m IJ180

Nickprints

There are companies that specialize in Aviation wraps. That being said, I do not work for one of them. Id advise to look into what they are using and Id assume you would want something UV protected with High Tac

Orajet 3967AC with Oraguard 293AC laminate is the correct Orafol media and laminate for aviation applications. For 3M products, you would want 3M A7706 or A7322 with a liquid clear coat. I believe the 3M products are screen print compatible only, whereas the Orafol offerings are inkjet compatible.

Last edited:

d fleming

Depending on what the use is. I have done plane #s just so they can move it around between hangers using cheap easily removeable vinyl and supplied paint mask for when they are doing the permanent rendition. RTA vinyl graphics are usually supplied for instructions, id, etc for interior. Paint seems to be the order of the day for the planes we have done. I've done a fed x plane but was all paper pounce patterns for large exterior graphic..

zebradog

Thank you all who replied. I greatly appreciate it. As this potential customer seems to be in a hurry, and we are not really experienced with the aviation field, I think I will tell him we'll pass. I think this is a one-off aviation related job and after reading the SDG Mag artical (thanks IDB SIgns), it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You all are great! Thanks again.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thank you all who replied. I greatly appreciate it. As this potential customer seems to be in a hurry, and we are not really experienced with the aviation field, I think I will tell him we'll pass. I think this is a one-off aviation related job and after reading the SDG Mag artical (thanks IDB SIgns), it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You all are great! Thanks again.

Well done, knowing when to say no thanks.

I'm personally done with aviation related graphics after sending a "friend" a $4k invoice after installing new stripes and graphics on his plane, only for him to complain that it was "too expensive".

Sure wasn't too expensive when he was bragging to everyone about it in the hangar while I was working on a Sunday.

Lesson learned, never again!!

sardocs

I've lettered many helicopters and aircraft using high performance cast vinyl, usually Avery 900 series. Never had an issue of any sort.

unclebun

Putting the numbers on an airplane or helicopter is a simple job (except for the ladders/walkboard if it's a tall plane). Just use high performance cast vinyl. Even for the silver with a black shadow. I cannot believe how the advent of printers has so seriously dumbed down the sign industry. All anybody thinks about is wrap, wrap, wrap. There's more to signs than wrapping.

IDB Signs

I think it may be worth making a distinction here between small, lower altitude planes and helicopters, which don't get pressurized, vs larger jets private and commercial that do get pressurized and are subject to much higher speeds and lower temps.

Gene@mpls

Sub or Hypersonic? We are a mile from a releaver airfield and do many with premium vinyl. Only one old army trainer has crashed so far.