• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What type of printing process is being used?

VTSigns

www.woodsnap.com

This company prints on wood. The prints are water resistant, bleach and even sand paper resistant. They claim the ink is "infused" into the wood. Does anyone have any idea as to what printing process they would be using?

VTSigns

Didn't see that info Pat. Thanks for that. Pricing sounds very reasonable for what you get.

Pretty cool concept. Just curious as to what that process entails.

MachServTech

Looks like pigment based aqueous inkjet printing on pre prepped coated board. (receiver coating for the ink) Post process would be a urethane or acrylic coating. All of this could be done with eco friendly products as they claim.

RyanFelty

We print on wood with our flatbed all the time. Actually, it looks like that exact same wood that we print on for a company that does wall art for target and other retailers.

MikePro

flatbed printing, poly coated.
as for the other 8-steps, I bet two of them are: drinking a beer while printing & drinking a beer while clear coat dries.

artbot

companies like this highly oversell their "technology". they want to be considered an art studio more than a printer so they create terminologies. if they insist that the ink is fused to the wood, it is most likely a polyester dye sub coating (wood absorbs this kind of stuff). then the image is dye subbed "into" the wood. it's not the wood that has the ink fused to it. ...it's the polyester that is absorbed into the wood.

rjssigns

flatbed printing, poly coated.
as for the other 8-steps, I bet two of them are: drinking a beer while printing & drinking a beer while clear coat dries.

You missed turning on the computer, opening the software, loading the file, looking at the file blah blah blah.:Big Laugh

Like artbot said, overselling the process. Lotsa sizzle, not much meat.

And to be honest I do not see the point of their process. IMO the basic premise would be to show the grain, no? Like printing on barn boards or old doors, which I find way cool. Didn't see that in any of their samples. Looks just like something you'd get at WallyWorld.

rjssigns

I found the one video where the guy says "we make sure NOT to print white so it shows the grain" kinda funny. Like priming with white is some kind of abomination.

Either way, it's a good business idea. I would never order stuff like that (even if we didn't have ways of doing it in-house) as I'm not their target demographic but there are tons of women out there that are.

Yup. Best marketing practices make it possible to sell average products at premium prices.

artbot

ha! that is because they can't print white. i've done a lot of graphics for wood veneer. bumping yellows and light greens, cyans, pinks... with 10% white can give you much much better results. otherwise the print is at the mercy of the wood tone... looks cheesy. aka...your kids face looks like he's got combat camo makeup.

Pat Whatley

You don't like the look of the prints.
You think the woodgrain showing looks stupid.
You say it's no big deal, you could do it.
You laugh because they are overselling the process.

Did you watch the video? Did you see how many thousands of blanks they had in the works and how many boxes stacked up to ship? I think the thing we need to be focused on is how they managed to turn a $40 sheet of birch plywood into $2500 in products and why we aren't doing the same thing.

:Big Laugh

VTSigns

You don't like the look of the prints.
You think the woodgrain showing looks stupid.
You say it's no big deal, you could do it.
You laugh because they are overselling the process.

Did you watch the video? Did you see how many thousands of blanks they had in the works and how many boxes stacked up to ship? I think the thing we need to be focused on is how they managed to turn a $40 sheet of birch plywood into $2500 in products and why we aren't doing the same thing.

:Big Laugh

My thoughts exactly Pat!

utmtech

Looks like pigment based aqueous inkjet printing on pre prepped coated board. (receiver coating for the ink) Post process would be a urethane or acrylic coating. All of this could be done with eco friendly products as they claim.

Not that the following link has any credibility, but whoever wrote the article(ette) is claiming aqueous pigment aswell.

http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/woodsnap

That said, I have a VJ1204 I am very heavily considering modifying into a flatbed printer flowing bordeaux latex through a DX5.

Pat Whatley

Not that the following link has any credibility, but whoever wrote the article(ette) is claiming aqueous pigment aswell.

It's on the Woodsnap website. "WoodSnap speaks for the trees by using only water-based, sustainable inks. You have GOT TO SEE our wood prints in person! They have a beautiful matte finish and no post-coat lacquer! "

artbot

didn't say that. i've printed on a lot of veneer. white has some amazing advantages. such as wood has an opalescent reflection angle. unfortunately at that angle the image being transparent gets blown out. so an install in a corridor (constant side viewing) or a place with lots of light, the image will struggle. a proper white file adds image data for the eye to take in at these difficult lighting angles because of its opacity. and i do turn a few dollars into hundreds of dollars per square feet. so that is what it is. not bragging.

visual800

They have a niche! and an ugly logo.

I admire them for what they do and they have a professional presentation, Im sure its basically along the lines of what Artbot said, they are overselling, and you have to if you wanna make an impression. There is such a flooded market for all this personalized stuff out there. Canvas on frames for example, all over pinterest for sale. I admire what they do but it does not interest me.

Im sure they are printing DTG nothing special