• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What type of vinyl for wall quotes

shiver

Hello all,

I mainly do banners and coroplast signs for customers. I have a quote on my vehicle window and from time to time I am asked if I can make quotes for people to put on their walls. Such as Family. Live, Laugh Love. A child's name.

Not printed...cut. What type of vinyl would I use to assure it sticks to the wall?

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Shiver

MtnView

I haven't used it yet for walls but I have seen Oracal 651 recommended for this type of project.

visual800

Just use whatever brand you have instock. We use oracal but every brand we have ever used stuck to wall

NateF

+1 on the Oracal 631. It has a matte finish which looks better indoors and is easily removable when the time comes (I think clean removal is guaranteed up to three years). The 631 can be a little tricky to mask and apply, though, since it has a lower tack adhesive. We found that once the vinyl is placed on the wall, it is usually good to let it sit for 30 minutes or so to let the adhesive flow out before trying to remove the premask.

I think ordinary vinyl like the 651 would tend to really tear up the walls when the time comes for removal. 631 is definitely the answer here.

Kottwitz-Graphics

+1 on the Oracal 631. It has a matte finish which looks better indoors and is easily removable when the time comes (I think clean removal is guaranteed up to three years). The 631 can be a little tricky to mask and apply, though, since it has a lower tack adhesive. We found that once the vinyl is placed on the wall, it is usually good to let it sit for 30 minutes or so to let the adhesive flow out before trying to remove the premask.

I think ordinary vinyl like the 651 would tend to really tear up the walls when the time comes for removal. 631 is definitely the answer here.

Most of the wall quotes that I've done are for the local YMCA (inspirational quotes), so they requested that they stay indefinitely, so I've used 651 with great success.

The only other wall letters that I've been asked to do is for a local museum, and they requested that I use Avery, so I did. As far as removal, they have someone on staff that will take it off when the time comes.

splizaat

We do a TON of installs to wall and use 651 all day long for this. I'd rather have too much tack than not enough.

Not to sound ridiculous but i'd rather get a call saying it took some paint off than a call saying the stickers you put on our walls are falling off.

NateF

Not saying 651 is the worst thing to use (I can see it working well on cement block walls with glossier paint), but Oracal 631 is designed for this application. Matte finish makes reflected light less of a problem, and we have absolutely no problems with letters peeling off a wall that was cleaned properly before the install. Textured walls are troublesome, but that's to be expected. I have a customer right now who would like to change some of the wording on their wall, but can't do it because they don't want to go through the headache of repairing/repainting the walls first. All their current lettering is stuck on the drywall using 651 or something equivalent, and it won't remove without peeling paint.

If you're worried about durability, just get some samples and test for yourself. I can say that I've been beyond pleased with the results we've seen from Oracal 631.

ProWraps

typically if for cut vinyl, its a cast product such as 751 for oracal or digitally printed its an ij180c with 8520 matte lam.