• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl do you use for dibond signs?

reQ

Still debating with myself over materials selection. What vinyl do you guys use for your dibond signs (considering it as a higher end sign compare to cheap coro)

Right now i am thinking between 3M 40c + 290 overlam vs 180c +290 overlam. I was using 3651 for years without problems and signs that are 3-4 years old still look good with 3651.
Is cast or ultra cal vinyls are overkill for dibond signs or its best way?

Zambookajoe

Ive had decent durability with 3m ij35, but I will usually do 180c if the customers requires the most durability, Ive did lots of ij40 to

I would not use ij35 if you want more then 2=3 years

Im currently testing a metamark calendared dont remember the code , its holding good but I have a lot of problem laminating it , a lot of silvering, but my rep says Im the only one complaining lol

TimToad

We use Oracal 3165RA and 210 for nearly all of our "standard" durability work on DiBond. For the extra few dollars for a material with air egress, our overall mounting quality has improved exponentially. Its a five year material and the better DiBond grade has a five year durability, so I feel confident assuring customers that they should expect five years of overall durability.

When I first took over this business a year ago I couldn't understand why we were buying the lowest priced medias and gallons and gallons of RapidTac. There also was a huge garden sprayer of soapy water solution in the shop area and we were STILL putting out signs with all sorts of bubble issues and scratches. My predecessor and the employee never wanted to unweb the laminator to use it for mounting, especially on large prints, so they'd hand apply even 4'x8' or larger prints while getting a cheap shower from the sprayer at the same time. LOL

Nor did they know you could reduce scratches from hand mounting if you sprayed the laminated surface with a little soapy water before and while squeegeeing instead of the sticky side.

I would actually rerun and remount the worst of them at night without our inherited employee knowing it to spare his feelings about being one of the slowest, least efficient yet highly experienced signmakers I've ever worked with. Finally, my financial concerns and logic took over and the employee, lousy materials and most of the RapidTac have been replaced. We also have lots of the felt block squeegees and other scratch reducing tools now that maybe cost about $100 total and are giving much better results. Our laminator has become a valuable multi-tasking tool as its manufacturers intended and our work all looks much better.

SolitaryT

In my experience, IJ-40C is the best "standard" inkjet vinyl available. It's so damn versatile, relatively inexpensive, and is a good baseline when offering more high performance options like 180. I'd go with the IJ40 any day.

SolitaryT

In my experience, IJ-40C is the best "standard" inkjet vinyl available.  It's so damn versatile, relatively inexpensive, and is a good baseline when offering more high performance options like 180.  I'd go with the IJ40 any day.

threeputt

We use 3651 but not 210 anymore. Had too many call backs after about 3 years with the 210 shrinking. We now over-laminate with 3M 8500. It's fairly inexpensive, especially for a cast laminate. (which doesn't shrink up)

We use the 3M 8518 for wraps, etc. (two and one half times as much dough for that one) We used to use the 290, and also Gamutskin. But now the 8518.

For what it's worth.