• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl does everyone use.

blueben

I am just curious what vinyl everyone is using and why. I have talked to people who say they would never use any orocal because it is crap and have heard people say they only use orocal.

We use mainly Arlon 5000 or orocal 651 for most general signs.

I like the orocal for small decals and smaller lettering and I like the Arlon for the larger stuff. IMO the Arlon doesnt shrink as much as the orocal.

petesign

I use oracal 3640 for temporary or elcheapo yard signs, and 3M IJ-35 for more permanent outdoor applications on signs.

Oracal 3268 for "fatheads"

Oracal stuff isn't bad, as long as you get the right kind of vinyl for the right application. Now, Avery, I could tell you some stories...

blueben

I hate avery vinyl. Has anyone used Tapetechnologies before. My 2 vendors I usually use have just started selling it and they both have sent me 10 yards free to try. They are colors I dont usually use and I dont want to use it on someones sign with out testing it first or seeing what anyone else has to say.

Tim Aucoin

I may pay a little more, but I pretty much stick with 3M products. 220, SC50, IJ135-10, IJ180, etc... It's never let me down yet, and if it ain't broke... yada, yada, yada!!!

sdimmick

Oracal 651, 641, 631, some Avery, and some LG...
Depends on application, but oracal mainly...havent had any issues with shrinkage, lol.
Soon i will attempt an indoor sign that will prob use some mactac opaque....

cgsigns_jamie

I'm another 3M "snob". But most of our signage is long-term outdoor and/or lighted.

3M 7725 Series for Opaque
3M 3630 Series for Translucent
Various 3M IJ-xxxx for printed graphics.

I do however use Oracal 3651 for temporary prints, never had any issues with it.

Blaney

When I started my wholesaler carried only Arlon so that's what I used. When they started to carry Oracal I tried it and loved it. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to weed. Now I only use Oracal 651 and 751.

blueben

Honestly I havent used much 3M. Mainly because the guy whom I learned from and eventually bought out used to work for 3M and refused to work with their product. I know the Highway patrol around here requires their decals to made with 3M only.

heyskull

If I was trying to sell people 3M around where I am I would go hungry!
Customers will specify 3M but usually opt for something more cost effective.
Running Oracal and have done for nearly 10 years.
I have some horror stories about Avery also!

SC

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If your doing short term everyday type vinyl you should try my 5 Mil Permanent Adhesive, its only $0.12 a sq.ft and not a single person has not liked it. I understand though if you like to spend more money on other brands.

phototec

Oracal 651 and 751, special colors are needed.

Cuts great, weeds great, no problems, and cheaper than 3M.

Malkin

3M 220 for colors.
3M IJ180cV3 for Cast digital prints (8518 Lam)
Oracal 3165ra for Calendered digital prints