• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Vinyl to Use for Dodgeballs

moe_szys1ak

Yes, you read that correctly. I want to use vinyl to put logos on the old classic rubber dodgeballs. As far as I know they won't be put through any heavy tests - they're not league balls or anything - but I do want the vinyl to last for a decent amount of time. Have any of you done this or something similar? I've read of a few instances where people used vinyl on volleyballs and basketballs, but no mention of what vinyl was used.

I appreciate any help you can give.

iSign

whatever vinyl you use, I would think it should simply be a stencil for paint. You mention heavy testing... I would think one bounce of the ball would contract, expand and/or distort the surface so much that all adhesion would be compromised entirely in that instant...

moe_szys1ak

I hadn't thought about the contracting/expanding issues. I've seen stretchy shirt vinyl for use on spandex - is there something similar in sign vinyl that does not require a heat press to apply? I understand sign vinyl wasn't made for this purpose, but is the adhesive really that poor and the vinyl that rigid that a few bounces would compromise the adhesion entirely?

If I have to mask and paint, what vinyl would you suggest I use to mask with? Or should I use something different? What about the ink? I'm starting to feel as if I've opened up a can of worms here :)

dwt

Oracal, oramask is what I use.
You could probably spray it in thin, light coats of plasticote or an oil base paint.
Your profile suggest that you're a screen printer by day and not the bar keep
we see on tv, unless your moonlighting of course.
:toasting::ROFLMAO:

iSign

pounce pattern and a quill then...

test test test... and report back!
(I fear the dodge ball pros haven't found this site yet)

moe_szys1ak

Oracal, oramask is what I use.
You could probably spray it in thin, light coats of plasticote or an oil base paint.
Your profile suggest that you're a screen printer by day and not the bar keep
we see on tv, unless your moonlighting of course.
:toasting::ROFLMAO:

LOL - screen printing is one of my many side jobs - I haven't worked in a bar in a few years, though I do enjoy a Flaming Moe every once in a while :wink: I only screen print with waterbased inks in an effort to be eco-friendlier (and it makes cleanup a little easier, too), so I'm not really familiar with solvent or oil-based inks and paints. But I'll look into the Oramask and getting an ink that will adhere to rubber well. I've never used a pounce pattern, but I know OF them - haha. I'll check those out, too. Luckily they only want a 1-color imprint, so this shouldn't be TOO difficult. I'll fill you all in on which way I go and how it works out. Thanks for all your help!

:thankyou:

moe_szys1ak

So I heard from my client that their client (I'm just the printer on this one) will actually be using these IN the tournament, so they need to have some tough prints.

After some more research, I basically learned that there are few inks or paints that adhere to rubber without flaking, cracking or rubbing off. My best bet looks to be masking with oramask and then painting with the paint they use on tires for stuff like white walls and raised letters. Duplicolor even makes something called the Hot Tire Paint Pen for customizing tire walls that they sell at places like Autozone. I would just have to color it in like a coloring book (staying in the lines, just this once :wink:). There's also this dye called Rubberbond by a Canadian company Parisol that can be used on most rubbers, but that stuff is pretty expensive while the paint pens are like $6.

I'll pick up a dodgeball and stop by Autozone this week to run some tests and let you know how it turns out.

moe_szys1ak

Whassamatta? You didn't like the answers I gave you on t-shirtforums? :tongue:

LOL - I don't put all my eggs in one basket :toasting:

Unfortunately, I can't find a screen printing ink for rubber that'll take the kind of beating these will be subjected to. Otherwise, I'd probably give it a shot.

iSign

Naz-Dar has a 2 part catalyst ink, I think it was called DA Nylon..

that is some wicked chit mon...

MikePro

sihl t-print material is rubbery and forms with heat... just throwing it out there, but i have not confirmed that it will stick to rubber.