• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl to use?

4R Graphics

Ok guys and girls heres what I got. Customer has a canvas awning that has been painted(Dont Ask) the surface is kind of rough they want me to do some lettering on it usually I would use a 651 but this thing is facing south in florida so lots of sun the biggest question I have is will the 651 last for 5 years with out crcking and the really big question is will it stick to the surface?

I should have walked away but I didnt. So whats the best material to use on this thing to get it to stick and last in the florida sun for at least 3 yrs but more would be better sticking is the biggest concern?

ChiknNutz

Canvas...as in fabric or vinyl? If fabric, you can either paint it (best option) or use FabricBrite (made for stuff like this). If a vinyl awning, use a good cast vinyl. First one I did a few years back I did with either Arlon 2100 or Oracal 751. I think it was Arlon cuz the 751 wasn't cast until about a year or two ago I believe. It's still holding up very well, though we don't get the kind of sun you do. Either way, cast is the way to go (for any long-term application).

4R Graphics

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply I was thinking cast but it is canvas fabric but it has been primed and painted with about 3 coats so I am really sticking it to paint but the canvas gives it a texture not smooth so I was really concerned about it sticking well. If I painted it what paint do you guys recommend The base was just painted a few days ago and I believe its latex. Ok cast so which do you guys recommend for this kind of application basically which one has the best adhesive and of course price I know good and cheap dont mix but recomendations are wanted.

Thanks

4R Graphics

Ok well I took 3 samples one was calon high perfornace the other was Avaery A7 and the last was general formulations from earl micha company its a 6 yr calendered vinyl. I took a 6" square from each and apply them to the side of my house which is T111 wood sideing with latex paint covering it. I applied the samples with a squeegee not alot of pressure and then waited about 5 mins and blasted them with the hose making sure to angle it at all the edges then I took my air compressor and put a blower chuck in and at 120 psi I blasted all the samples going around the edges trying to get them to lift. The results were that the calon lifted a corner and a little bit of an edge the A7 lifted a little in the corners and to my suprise the GF didnt lift any where. So now I am really stumped as the 2 that lifted are cast and the one that didnt is a fairlly cheap calendered. I dont have any oracal on hand to test so there you go now what?

Bill Modzel

Your siding isn't an awning. If your going to attempt this listen to GraphiX and use high performance cast. Also, use a rivet brush and heat and work that vinyl into the texture. 5 minutes on a wall isn't two years on a flexible awning in the sun.