• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl to use?

JLSignsLLC

Even after speaking with my sales rep, still cannot figure out this problem. Looking for a thick mill vinyl that will be user friendly for who ever applies it. Making band stickers, and smaller decals for companies that need to last more than a year. Have a few decals from other companies that are nice and thick but no product identification on the back. Arghh! Any help is help. Thanks, Jason

edgette

Jason just because the material is thick doesn't make it last longer. The thinnest material I have right now is the best rated stuff I have.

If you want thick, add a laminate.

Convex http://www.convexvinyl.com/ is a good thick material with several options for overlaminate thickness. Just do not apply the graphics to something like a boat that will take a lot of abrasion from one side or the thicker profile will cause more problems.

I used the 6Mil vinyl matte with an 8 mill overlaminate gloss.. It produced decals that were removable and installable without transfer tape, and they are extremely durable.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I carry a 5 Mil Adhesive vinyl 54"x150' is only $88 if you want it thicker you can throw a 4 Mil Lam over the top.

J

john1

Jason, I do a ton of print/cut stickers, labels and such like your talking about.

I use Grimco's BriteLine 201 matte and 203 gloss with their matching Briteline overlaminate. Fellers sells the same product under General Formulations which is the real brand of the BriteLine Grimco sells. The material is cheap and lasts pretty good. You can use oracal 200 or 210 laminate over this no problem.

Something that is easier to apply would be 3M IJ35C which has air egress which will allow you and your customer to apply dry and bubble free. You can also laminate that with Oracal 200 or 210 laminate no problem.

These vinyls alone will last a few years outdoors, It's 99% of what i use.

Anything going on vehicles needs to be a higher performance vinyl which would be a cast or a high grade calendered (yes they make those)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I don't understand the appeal of thick vinyl. To me it bubbles worse than, say, a cast HP vinyl. And harder to get the bubbles out, even with a poker. Thickness does not help in application. It's the method of application that is important. If you're talking just a general type bumper sticker or decal, we use O 3164. It's the perfect thickness for any application.

CS-SignSupply-TT

201 and 203

Jason, I do a ton of print/cut stickers, labels and such like your talking about.

I use Grimco's BriteLine 201 matte and 203 gloss with their matching Briteline overlaminate. Fellers sells the same product under General Formulations which is the real brand of the BriteLine Grimco sells. The material is cheap and lasts pretty good. You can use oracal 200 or 210 laminate over this no problem.

Something that is easier to apply would be 3M IJ35C which has air egress which will allow you and your customer to apply dry and bubble free. You can also laminate that with Oracal 200 or 210 laminate no problem.

These vinyls alone will last a few years outdoors, It's 99% of what i use.

Anything going on vehicles needs to be a higher performance vinyl which would be a cast or a high grade calendered (yes they make those)

Jason, CS Sign Supply will be happy to help you with the General Formulations products, including GF laminates that are compatible with their vinyls.

34Ford

Go over to Oracal and get a free sample of their 3165RA.

Its much easier for a customer to lay down without bubbles.