• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What weight banner to use

Billct2

I'm quoting a job for a big banner 6'x30' for a client that is located right by the harbor. They get a LOT of wind. The banner will be fastened to the side of their building. It will be hemmed & grommetted and they will do the install (they're contractors). I told them that it needed to be installed tight and taut, fasteners every 2-3ft. I was thinking a heavier weight banner 18oz or 20oz (instead of 13oz) would help given the wind,does that make sense?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good idea on the 18oz or so. I'd use fender washers if the distance will allow for it. Also, a few strategically placed bolts here and there in the middle would help.

Sign Eagle

Had a discussion with UltraFlex a few monyhs back and they suggested for such an application, the weight of the material is not as important as the thread count, as I recall they suggested a count of 1000. You would do well to contact UltraFlex directly, not sure most distributors have the knowledge to provide a good recomendation. I would agree that the mesh would be a good choice.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i disagree with all of the above, except maybe for the thread count, that has some validity.

i do allot of banner mounts to wall surfaces and 13 oz is fine. the most important part is the mounting to the wall. fender washer are unsightly and unnecessary.

a 13oz banner with seat belt webbing sewn on the edge is all you need.(grommets obviously) use the plastic hammer-rivets and the only reason the banner will come down is because it's time for a new one, or it's so old the red ink is all faded out...

401Graphics

These banners weren't mesh and held up for a long time in a high wind area. Not sure what the banner weight was because i didn't make them, only installed them. But I would think at least 18oz.

Attachments

• 384745_231110993622474_1278202008_n.jpg
    384745_231110993622474_1278202008_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 84

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Had a discussion with UltraFlex a few monyhs back and they suggested for such an application, the weight of the material is not as important as the thread count, as I recall they suggested a count of 1000. You would do well to contact UltraFlex directly, not sure most distributors have the knowledge to provide a good recomendation. I would agree that the mesh would be a good choice.

Exactly so. Banner weight is merely that, weight. Is says absolutely nothing as to the actual strength of the material, on what one square yard weighs.

It's thread count and the denier of that thread that are indicators of strength, not weight. A 10oz material of higher thread count and denier would probably perform better that an 18oz material of lower specifications.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've outsourced a few billboards larger than that from a reputable company/ merchant member here on this site and if I remember correctly it was 13 oz. material. Not sure of the denier count but they specialize in this so I trust the product.
Proper installation is key of course.