Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What weight banner to use

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Billct2, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'm quoting a job for a big banner 6'x30' for a client that is located right by the harbor. They get a LOT of wind. The banner will be fastened to the side of their building. It will be hemmed & grommetted and they will do the install (they're contractors). I told them that it needed to be installed tight and taut, fasteners every 2-3ft. I was thinking a heavier weight banner 18oz or 20oz (instead of 13oz) would help given the wind,does that make sense?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Good idea on the 18oz or so. I'd use fender washers if the distance will allow for it. Also, a few strategically placed bolts here and there in the middle would help.

3. IronHawk

IronHawk Member

Jun 28, 2012
    +1

Couldn't have said it better myself...

4. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I would use mesh, you wouldn't have to worry at all about wind.

5. Sign Eagle

Sign Eagle Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Had a discussion with UltraFlex a few monyhs back and they suggested for such an application, the weight of the material is not as important as the thread count, as I recall they suggested a count of 1000. You would do well to contact UltraFlex directly, not sure most distributors have the knowledge to provide a good recomendation. I would agree that the mesh would be a good choice.

6. i disagree with all of the above, except maybe for the thread count, that has some validity.

i do allot of banner mounts to wall surfaces and 13 oz is fine. the most important part is the mounting to the wall. fender washer are unsightly and unnecessary.

a 13oz banner with seat belt webbing sewn on the edge is all you need.(grommets obviously) use the plastic hammer-rivets and the only reason the banner will come down is because it's time for a new one, or it's so old the red ink is all faded out...

7. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

These banners weren't mesh and held up for a long time in a high wind area. Not sure what the banner weight was because i didn't make them, only installed them. But I would think at least 18oz.

Attached Files:

8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Exactly so. Banner weight is merely that, weight. Is says absolutely nothing as to the actual strength of the material, on what one square yard weighs.

It's thread count and the denier of that thread that are indicators of strength, not weight. A 10oz material of higher thread count and denier would probably perform better that an 18oz material of lower specifications.

9. sounds like me and bobby agree....

i think....

10. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    I've outsourced a few billboards larger than that from a reputable company/ merchant member here on this site and if I remember correctly it was 13 oz. material. Not sure of the denier count but they specialize in this so I trust the product.
    Proper installation is key of course.

11. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    Sail track and kedar. No wind will get behind it whats so ever.