• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what wide format printer to buy ?

magasak

I've been outsourcing my print jobs for couple of years. now it's time to buy a printer for myself. please Let me know what are the affordable options to start with. I mainly print window perfs and window graphics (vinyl) up to 60" width. banners, posters and canvas are my other materials to print on. I'm confused with all the options. The print shop I'm working with is using HP L25500. not sure if I can trust this machine for my jobs though. he just spent $2000 on repairing the heaters on l25500. is that a good choice ? what are the alternatives .
appreciate any comments.

brycesteiner

Mutoh, HP, etc. all have good machines. Maintaining them, including regular cleaning (not just heads) and greasing makes them last much longer.
You need to be prepared for costly repairs on any machine that's going to be in production. Whether it's from wear and tear or operator error, it will happen. If you don't want to deal with this then you shouldn't have your own equipment.

rjssigns

My two cents. Buy speed, especially for doing banners and posters. Something like the dual head Mutoh 1638X would fit the bill. They claim 1000 square feet per hour, but I'd think 500 to 600 is more realistic for salable output. Don't quote me on that, because I haven't been to a demo yet. But it is something to keep on your radar.

Seiko makes a rocket(print speed wise) too.

I've been outsourcing my print jobs for couple of years. now it's time to buy a printer for myself. please Let me know what are the affordable options to start with. I mainly print window perfs and window graphics (vinyl) up to 60" width. banners, posters and canvas are my other materials to print on. I'm confused with all the options. The print shop I'm working with is using HP L25500. not sure if I can trust this machine for my jobs though. he just spent $2000 on repairing the heaters on l25500. is that a good choice ? what are the alternatives .
appreciate any comments.

I would recommend that you research the brands and machines that you are considering thoroughly, and don't minimize the important role that your reseller has in the ownership experience of LFP equipment.

Sites such as this one are also valuable in that you are able to solicit and review unvarnished user experiences with the various devices, and from that you can gain insight into what brands people tend to endorse more enthusiastically, based on their experiences. Don't forget the search function, as the questions that you are asking come up with some regularity. There are areas dedicated to discussions of all major brands of LFP devices, so you should have no shortage of reading material.

Regarding the HP Latex machines, keep in mind that the L25500 was HPs first generation offering, and it was sold between 2009 - 2011. The Latex 260 was introduced in late 2011, and has in turn been replaced by the Latex 300 series, which are the current offerings in this market segment. Each printer generation has improved the user experience, with the 300 series offering major improvements in warm-up time and print speed (not to mention other major breakthroughs), compared with the previous models. The HP Latex 300 series contains a lineup of five printer models priced from under $10,000 to $25,000 or thereabouts.

Best of luck, and happy reading.

magasak

I would recommend that you research the brands and machines that you are considering thoroughly, and don't minimize the important role that your reseller has in the ownership experience of LFP equipment.

Sites such as this one are also valuable in that you are able to solicit and review unvarnished user experiences with the various devices, and from that you can gain insight into what brands people tend to endorse more enthusiastically, based on their experiences. Don't forget the search function, as the questions that you are asking come up with some regularity. There are areas dedicated to discussions of all major brands of LFP devices, so you should have no shortage of reading material.

Thanks for the response. I already did some research and everybody is frightened with using the used LFPs ! sounds like the majority of responds are against buying the used machines due to high maintenance and repair cost. I just need to know the opinions of couple of guys who are in the same business and satisfied from their machines.
Cheers

mark galoob

when you are buying this equipment, there are some minor differences in what each major brand will or will not do...but the main thing you are buying is service. whoever you buy your equipment from, make sure you get at the very least a 2-3 yr service contract on it. do your due dilligance and contact their customers and find out how happy they are. this equipment will break but how much that actually costs you can somewhat be mitigated...