• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would cause a printer to make this error?

About an inch and a half into the material there is a lighter colored line. I changed materials restarted etc. still persists. Any ideas?

Roland Versa-Art RS-640

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_101301987.jpg
    IMG_20181203_101301987.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 454

KMC

Graphic Artist
looks like you may have an issue with your encoder strip try giving it a careful wipe down as per your manual, if it still happens you may need to replace it

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like its directly inline with that roller. Make sure nothings stuck in there or behind it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Have you changed any parts recently? While this does look similar to an encoder issue, usually encoder issues have a diagonal or stair step pattern rather than perfectly straight lines. I would definitely clean it to rule it out but if that doesn't fix the issue, I would be interested in if it happens on all files.

Looks like its directly inline with that roller. Make sure nothings stuck in there or behind it.

Is does look like a problem with that roller...nothing seems out of place though.

Have you changed any parts recently? While this does look similar to an encoder issue, usually encoder issues have a diagonal or stair step pattern rather than perfectly straight lines. I would definitely clean it to rule it out but if that doesn't fix the issue, I would be interested in if it happens on all files.

I replaced the encoder strip 6 months ago

As I was about to take it apart a rush job came in that doesn't have to use the full width, so its been back burnered. Will update.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not sure if that model has an environmental match option in the menu but most Rolands do. Try running that and see what happens. It should tell you if something with the encoder is messed up.

Looks line the line is only associated with the black channel. Using assigned colors it would only show up on black mixes.
Pure red blue yellow and green didn't have the problem...

color test only where there is K is what is looks like

Edit: I gotta run out for install will check in tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_163731861.jpg
    IMG_20181203_163731861.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 326

Joe House

Dave, By trailing cable, I mean the cables that go from the main board to the carriage board.

Cory, if it's a pinch roller problem, why does it only affect black?

Dave, By trailing cable, I mean the cables that go from the main board to the carriage board.

Cory, if it's a pinch roller problem, why does it only affect black?

Update: "Fixed"
Cleaned encoder strip
I looked at the cables and outside of taking it all apart and probably breaking them, I still don't know what I'm looking for. Cut wire? Mouse chew?
Then a stroke of genius hit me. I moved the material over a half inch. =Rigged=
:)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Update: "Fixed"
Cleaned encoder strip
I looked at the cables and outside of taking it all apart and probably breaking them, I still don't know what I'm looking for. Cut wire? Mouse chew?
Then a stroke of genius hit me. I moved the material over a half inch. =Rigged=
:)

If it works it's fixed! Good job! Just be ready for problems later. If it is a trailing cables issue, which I am leaning towards, it will get worse as time goes by. If that's the case you will know where to start if it does become a problem.

If it works it's fixed! Good job! Just be ready for problems later. If it is a trailing cables issue, which I am leaning towards, it will get worse as time goes by. If that's the case you will know where to start if it does become a problem.
I'll definitely come back to this thread and get your contact info. Do you sell them? are they hard to install?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'll definitely come back to this thread and get your contact info. Do you sell them? are they hard to install?

I don't have those cables so you should contact a local Roland dealer. In my experience, changing trailing cables out is more tedious than hard. The main concern is not cutting the cable on the edges of the sheet metal covers.