• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would cause bubbles to appear weeks after intial install?

Lindquist

I have an unusual installation problem that I haven't encountered before.

My client has large 8' x 4' acrylic displays with vinyl graphics applied to them. The graphics do not cover all of the acrylic and are applied to the face of the acrylic (not reverse mounted prints). I did not produce them originally, but we've been asked to change the prints on them a few times now.

The vinyl prints remove fairly easily and new prints can be applied. It's not been a problem until our latest install.

I was told after the install that there were bubbles in the prints. I assumed that someone had just not paid close enough attention. So, I reprinted the graphics, and I met our crew at the site to check the work and make sure the client was happy with the new prints before we left. It went great and we were all confident that the prints were installed without bubbles.

3 weeks later, I get an email that there are bubbles in the prints. I thought that maybe I missed a small bubble and they might be a bit picky about it - but I went to the site and found the prints just riddled with dozens of unmissable bubbles all over them. It was plainly obvious; not the kind of thing we could have overlooked during install.

We're using the same materials we've used for the last decade, and the facility is air conditioned. They have dozens of other prints on the wall that do not have a problem - and strangely one of the prints we installed on the same day as the others has no problem.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing bubbles to appear so long after the prints are installed?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've had it happen to vinyl on polycarbonite in the sun... particularly black vinyl. I think the problem was not enough pressure being applied so now I do them with a plain old regular squeegee and push real hard when applying.

ikarasu

Are you using a solvent printer and letting it offgas before laminating it? It rarely happens... But I found when we did have non offgassing issues it was on polycarb / acyrlic.

I'd also alcohol wipe everything down before re applying this time. Just incase the material is contaminated with oil or something else.

Christian @ 2CT Media

It's not Acrylic. Your panels are polycarbonate and polycarbonate outgasses moisture constantly. It absorbs humidity and releases it. Your vinyl is not porous so it causes the moisture to be trapped, leaving bubbles.

This is very common and very little can be done short of buying new UV 1S Poly and applying to that side. That panel may have been UV 1S at one time but now that coating has worn away with vinyl changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
It's not Acrylic. Your panels are polycarbonate and polycarbonate outgasses moisture constantly. It absorbs humidity and releases it. Your vinyl is not porous so it causes the moisture to be trapped, leaving bubbles.

This is very common and very little can be done short of buying new UV 1S Poly and applying to that side. That panel may have been UV 1S at one time but now that coating has worn away with vinyl changes.
Wow, I had no idea this happened with polycarb and am glad Denco sold me the UV 1 s for the faces I have made over the last 2 years.

I appreciate learning from you Christian.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Wow, I had no idea this happened with polycarb and am glad Denco sold me the UV 1 s for the faces I have made over the last 2 years.

I appreciate learning from you Christian.
We learned the hard way on a $140,000 job, so now anytime we vinyl apply we order and verify that the material is UV 1S.

If I can save one of my peers the same heart/headache I will!

Lindquist

Sorry, it's been a busy week. I'm just not getting back to this problem.

Are you using a solvent printer and letting it offgas before laminating it? It rarely happens... But I found when we did have non offgassing issues it was on polycarb / acyrlic.

Our prints are from an HP Latex 560.

I am not familiar with the difference between polycarbonate and acrylic. I inherited these displays from another vendor, and we always work with acrylic on our projects (or at least what our vendors are calling acrylic).

These displays have a frosted finish on the side without prints - if that makes any difference.

Can you clarify: Are you saying the only solution is to buy a whole new panel and put new prints on it?