• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would cause laminate to separate from vinyl during install?

WhatsYourSign?

Every once in a while we'll be doing an install and when we lift the vinyl to reposition it, the laminate will separate from the vinyl.

Helpful information:
  • Vinyl Type: Avery 1105
  • Laminate Type: Avery 1360z
  • Print: Eco-solvent
  • We always let jobs degas for 24 hours before laminating

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Dr. Decal

This happened to me once before with 3M cast film and laminate. The laminate peeled off with all of the ink. I never got an explanation outside of a bad roll of laminate. Have never had it happen again.

unclebun

Had you already stretched and heated to get it down the first time, so that when you pulled it up you were stretching it even more? If so, it's like when you go to pull up old laminated vinyl (that was installed a long time ago). Because it takes so much force to pull it up, you stretch the vinyl a lot, and because the vinyl and laminate are somewhat dissimilar in stretch characteristics, they come apart at the adhesive bond.

Dr. Decal

Wait, the laminate took the ink with it? Sounds like the laminate was doing a fine job! In this case I'd wager improper print settings...
I meant to say bad roll of film, not laminate. However, I've printed several rolls of the same material combo with the same settings, and only seen this problem once. I had to use application tape due to floating elements in the logo, and when I went to peel it away, it pulled lam. and ink. It was outgassed for about 36 hours before laminating, and installed on a flat trailer side.