• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would cause vinyl discoloration like this?

shoresigns

Rule of thumb: horizontal surfaces absorb roughly 3–5x the amount of UV compared with vertical surfaces. Adjust your estimated lifespan accordingly, i.e. if vertical lasts 5 years, horizontal might be 1–2 years.

BillyP

That is the glue breaking down in the laminate due to the UV . I am in North Queensland Australia and do not not use laminate for that reason. I clear coat everything with 2pac polyurathane clear and have jobs lasting over
10 years

equippaint

That is the glue breaking down in the laminate due to the UV . I am in North Queensland Australia and do not not use laminate for that reason. I clear coat everything with 2pac polyurathane clear and have jobs lasting over
10 years
Do you get any pushback with your pricing for the extra time and labor with it? I like the idea but it seems like it would be a huge bottleneck in production, especially considering wait time to dry.

BillyP

I only do the 2pac way but have a friend with a bigger sign company and he gives his customers the option between 2pac and lamination and after his reasoning on durability to exposure over 75% of customers choose 2pac. It is surely a bit more time consuming but you have peace of mind the job is done properly

equippaint

I agree with the durability 100% but cant imagine the space it would take. Even with a spot clear, it's a good 8 hours or more before you could even put something on top of it. You can run rolls of film with no space issues. We have to get minimum $3k a day out of our 2 booths to make any money, that would put the vinyl cost through the roof.

BillyP

That is the whole problem that has been created in the sign industry with wide format printers. Sadly quality has to suffer because of economics. I stay small so I can offer my clients the best I can offer at a reasonable price to suit

BVG

10 years
What product are you using? We're Sydney based but still get our fair share of 40° days. It'd be great having that extra peace of mind on long term jobs facing the sun!

BillyP

Am using PROTECT PARA GLAZE 2-1 mix with standard hardener and 15% thinner...May be sold as CARMASTER down your way

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hood graphics receive the harshest environmental treatment. They are facing up which means they get more direct sun rays for more hours of the day, they get heat from the engine.. on top of all that, it's on a black car so that just compounds everything.
Don't forget to add in the effects of global warming.

burgmurk

While you're peeling off that graphic and replacing it, repeat these words 1000 times: "Not everything that goes on a sign or a vehicle is called a wrap."
At least once a month i'll have a phone call/walk in like:
"How much to wrap my car?"
"oh, well that depends on the size and shape and the kind of finish, yada yada, but somewhere between $3&6k"
"WHAT?!? THREE GRAND TO PUT A GOD DAMN STICKER ON MY DOORS?! WHAT THE...."
Followed by me mansplaining the difference between a wrap and putting some decals on a door.

Oh well, at least down here we don't call the main course an entrée :p