• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you charge???

Tifosi

Roughly 5'x11' vertical laminated low tack window print, removal and install of a new one? Print has a 1/4" bleed to completely cover the window. Customer to supply the print.

Thanks for any help... I am just trying to see if I am on par with other shops. What was quoted by my sales rep doesn't sound worth it to me...

tsgstl

It's pretty much impossible to answer that question or base your decision off of any answer you would get in my opinion.
Are you busy? What does YOUR market support? Which material are you using (there is a huge range price wise) what is your overhead? Etc etc

When I feel like it's not worth it, I make it sound worth it in the bid. But I'm guessing it's to late for that.
Personally I try and keep a base cost of goods. Printed and laminated window perf(i'm asuming) would probably go above my usual c.o.g. range. But someone else might feel completely different. Labor would be ez it is not a hard or time consuming install or removal. At that size check the window to be square, I have been burned on that before with a window a little larger.

Tifosi

It is a job from a printer out of state. They just supply the product and that is it.

It is more of the hassle to deal with when you have weather that plays a big factor with when you can get it installed. The customer also has set dates to do the install. I am leaning on passing on future installs just so I don't have to bother with it.

I will say that because of where it is we have to use our lift truck to reach the top of the window.

tsgstl

Ahhhhh so it's just labor?

Well.... A lot of time those out of town customers pay up front and seem easier to deal with because they handle stuff like this often. I'm in St. Louis so our weather is similar. You should have 2 or 3 days a week this winter for a install. You need a fair amount of room to move around so it would be nice to have a decent size bucket. You only got one shot though haha good luck

Tifosi

Exactly! We have done it once and I am going back for the second round. First time the customer (a print company) provided us with a two piece print instead of one and had the size wrong on the window. This time the print company said they were shipping the print out and wanted the install by the 7th, well we just got the print in the middle of last week.

These guys only pay after the fact...

They added extra work this go around with changing out the business hours on the door. Removal of old and install new for $45.

I wonder if these guys will be slowly tacking more work on each time for less and less pay.

Locals Find!

I usually pay my installers their shop rate on a job like that. So I would venture a guess. That you should be charging your shop rate multiplied by the # hours your going to be on the job plus 15% for incidentals like paper towels etc...

Tifosi

Thanks everybody. Visual, I agree with you. Too bad my sales/cr person didn't feel the same way. She agreed on the job for $175. I think I should send her out to do it...

tsgstl

I would be up front with them next time. Charge a little more, raise the price by 15% or so to make you like doing it more. They are comfortable and obviously like your work and it doesn't sound like you care if you lose them. Tell them that this kind of job takes more time than you are budgeting for or something just be honest with them. Sounds like a little more money isn't worth them risking finding someone they don't know. And if they don't call back it's not like they can bad mouth you to YOUR customers. And $200-$300 every couple months or so adds up.

Tifosi

Thanks for the advice. I will push for more money for future jobs. It always amazes me how often the CSR at the shop will forget to figure in the trip charges and actual costs to installs.

kylebrk

Thanks everybody. Visual, I agree with you. Too bad my sales/cr person didn't feel the same way. She agreed on the job for $175. I think I should send her out to do it...

You honestly should. That way she can see for herself if it's worth $175.

My shop manager thought my pricing was too high. I let her pay bills for a month. Her conclusion? We weren't charging enough. :scream: