• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you consider a "Traditional Font"?

showcase 66

I have a client I just got of the phone with that wants a sign for their furniture store that says "Southwest, Traditional, & Contemporary Furniture Styles". and wants it in a "Traditional" font. Not sure exactly what she means by that.

I am tempted to send her it in Arial or Brush Script. Around where her place is, That is what is "Traditionally" used on people's signs.

I would then have to load brush script.

Any Ideas.

Thanks
BJ

SignosaurusRex

I'd sat that if it's secondary copy, GARAMOND REGULAR or ITALIC is about as traditional as you can get if want a serif roman letter, otherwise HELVETICA or ARIAL. OPTIMA may also be a consideration.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would browse through any of the following font families which are what are defined as transitional serif styles (after old style and before modern):

• Baskerville
  • Palatino
  • Garamond
  • Joanna
  • Cheltenham
  • Goudy Modern
  • Cochin

SignosaurusRex

I would browse through any of the following font families which are what are defined as transitional serif styles (after old style and before modern):

• Baskerville
  • Palatino
  • Garamond
  • Joanna
  • Cheltenham
  • Goudy Modern
  • Cochin

Choices...Choices....Choices......:covereyes: :ROFLMAO:

showcase 66

I just got a fuzzy phone pic of her sign. I have never paid attention to the business before. Actually I never realized there was a business there before she called me last week originally. Like I said before, her area is filled with Brush Script and her sign is no exception.

Think I might give her an option I think looks better and have a plain Arial bold to see if she doesnt like my take on it.

Jillbeans

My favorite traditional font is LHF Chesham Sans by Arthur Vanson
but would probably not be perfect for that.
What about LHF American Sans?
It's a ballsy 70s looking font but very sleek looking.
Love.....Jill

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Copperplate

Copperplate at anything much larger than 12 point is a sign of an amateur working at full capacity. That particular typeface was designed to imitate hand engraving, the tiny serifs are supposed to represent chisel finials. It only works when it's small.

Every time I see it inches tall with those ghastly little square serifs I cringe.

My all time favorite workaday type face is LHF Stevens Percepta. It's one of the few around that looks hand lettered but not ala a grocery store window banner. I did alter the '1's in all of the weights, I didn't like the droopy pointy tip they came with. I always thought that was sort of discordant with the rest of the type face.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken bob, wasn't that a style that the late Mike Stevens used quite a bit ??

JR's

I think you have to get her definition of whats a ("Traditional" font) is first. then you could give her what she is looking for.

JR

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Interesting Bob,What do you think of Bank Gothic

Not much.

It reeks of something that you might see at the 'Typeface of the Future' exhibit at the 1936 world's fair. The only way I would ever use it and/or its vicious cousin Copperplate would be if I were engaged to reproduce an existing work. No original work of mine would ever feature either of those two faces.

Dave Drane

The font must reflect the design and give feeling to the finished effect, but I must say that one font I use a lot is "Snapper" by A&S.