• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do.....................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in May of 2011, we flatbed printed a 3' x 12' lexan and 2pcs 1' x 8' for the pylon sign. Everything went fine.. Got a call about a month or so ago it was starting to peel. She actually thought birds were leaving streak marks on it.

Anyway, we went down yesterday, brought it in, cleaned it off completely and put translucent vinyl on to be sure this time. Put it back up today and it was gonna be on our dime, but then I found in our invoice that the customer had supplied the face. She had the 3' x 12', but we supplied the 1' x 8's.

The 1 x 8's didn't show any signs of problems, just the one she provided.

How would you go about telling her, since she supplied the material, that perhaps it wasn't what we normally use and therefore must charge her for trying to save money two years ago ??

We scrub and clean faces like any dickens to make sure this sort of thing never happens. Out of countless faces over the last 3 years done on our flatbed, this is the first and only one that has failed.

Would you go easy on her..... maybe go 50% or would you charge full price with a discount or what ??

Full price would be around $600. She's only about 15 minutes away from our shop.

I'm thinking about $350. or so.

Any input would be welcome.
:thankyou: Gino

Wraptrick

Was your customer informed in the beginning that you would not guarantee your ink on the substrate they provided? If not, then any guarantee you gave on your products or inks should be the same for all the pieces. That's how I would feel about the situation, any way. That would be my fault. If no guarantee was discussed, maybe you could ask to split the costs on this, but by accepting the job in the first place and not letting them know that there would possibly be issues, I would feel kind of obligated. Probably because I'm a pretty nice guy.

Billct2

Prorate it for the 18 months is was up. Mention that because it was her material if it happens again it will require a redo on new material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wrapt......

It was noted on the quote and the invoice that the face was supplied by others, which in this case is the lady and then explains we are not responsible for anything on that face down the road, which I told her when I got there yesterday. Just I didn't remember how things were... almost two years ago. When I got back, had the office look it up and called her to explain the possibilities.

She moved into this small mall and the cabinet was already there with a new looking face in it. The pylon had no faces, so we supplied them. I don't remember all the logistics from that long ago, but we do keep records.

In fact, today when we were there.... after finishing up, I went in and told one of the employees we were finished. She said the owner would be back later, but she wanted to pay me and I said, I don't think you'll be owing us, since it doesn't look like a used face. Then she said, well the owner feels bad that this all took place on an old sign she gave you to use. That's when I decided to look up the records and that's when I found out, she did indeed supply and was notified we don't warrant used or other peoples' material.

I don't think we have a problem charging her, but should I go full or half. I feel bad for her, but then it wasn't really our fault.

petepaz

i would explain the situation and try to get something, at least 50% like you said. if they don't go for it i guess you might have to eat it if you didn't tell them you aren't responsible when printing on customers own material. sucks!

on a lighter note when you uv print sign faces like that do you put anything over the uv ink for protection? if not how long does that last out side, approx?

petepaz

didn't get my first post in before your second so i missed all the info.
if she is a good customer and since she does realize part of the burden does fall on her just give her a small amount off (maybe 20 or 25%) and if she complains then go down to 50%

Wraptrick

That makes sense, I would definitely find a way to split it with her, I'd probably just charge for the install, myself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
UV without any liquid or rigid lam should last about 3 to 5 years.
With lam.... add another 18 months or so.
We re-did this with 9 year translucent this time.

We couldn't have done it this way with this particular sign, but what we like to do now is print reversed second side on clear and back up with a second white face. That is really the cat's meow. Sharp like anything and now the ink is completely protected and we were told we could get as much as 5, 6 years or more according to the colors and direction its facing.

ThinkRight

Sounds like she is taking responsibility which is very rare.
Give her cost plus whatever you feel like ( 15 -25 % )
Or maybe B2B rate.
She sounds like a customer that is / can be an asset in the future.
You make some money and an existing customer called back which is a good thing now days.
Most people would have called a lawyer fist then shopped around for the cheapest quote.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We print on the back side of clear in reverse. This provides the print to not be exposed to the elements which can create wear & tear on a substrate and ink. We don't back the same piece up with translucent, but we put a second face in of sign white. This gives the white the inks need to show up properly. Jeremy has some neat profile set up for this and it looks dark until it's up on the building or pylon..... wherever it's gonna be used. When the lights go on, there is no washed put look to it.

Pencils ?? Didn't you get them yet ?? They must be on a slow boat from China. I heard where we sold China all our trees last year, so although they're domestic pencils, they still need to come from China. Some kinda rule nowadays. If you don't have them by November 43rd, just consider them back-ordered and you'll get 'em when I frickin' feel like lookin' into the matter.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
you already did it with her thinking it would cost her nothing. Id say eat it.

Read my post #5. It really explains what she did and did not know ahead of time and during the whole refurbishing ordeal. It was me that forgot she had supplied the face, and therefore, she knew she'd have to pay.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, we split it with her. She just dropped off a check for $325.00.

I asked her what her thoughts were on it and she said, she's happy paying only half. She thought she'd have to pay the whole thing, since it was outlined to her we wouldn't be responsible for materials supplied. I told her I felt bad and that some places didn't clean up worth a crap and other areas just came off like nothing. She seemed overly apologetic, so I think we made the right decision for all involved.

Then she ordered a banner. Guess she's gonna be a good customer.