• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do....?

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
After one of our oil & gas customers ordered 200 sets of logo magnets a while back, for their aluminum F-150's, we make sure to have the customer verify if a magnet will stick. I could only imagine the look on their face when they received the order and they wouldn't stick :mad:

They wanted a refund. I had to tell them, what am I going to do with 400 magnets with your logo on it? Nothing. Sorry!

BUCKY

Since we are on the subject of magnetics..... can someone explain to me why they are always cheaper than putting the vinyl graphics right on the door?
I see this all the time! Customers come in and ask for a price on a set of magnetics. I give them the price and then I get the response...

Them:"Well geez....so and so will do a set of magnetics for $65.00 a pair, why are you so high?"

Me: Really?!!!!!! Grrrrr...

Do companies only charge $45.00 to letter a set of truck doors? You have added cost for the magnetic and production. I just do not get it.

Perhaps my pricing is just off in left field but I have been in this business for thirty years and this has never changed.

fuzzy_cam

Since we are on the subject of magnetics..... can someone explain to me why they are always cheaper than putting the vinyl graphics right on the door?
I see this all the time! Customers come in and ask for a price on a set of magnetics. I give them the price and then I get the response...

Them:"Well geez....so and so will do a set of magnetics for $65.00 a pair, why are you so high?"

Me: Really?!!!!!! Grrrrr...

Do companies only charge $45.00 to letter a set of truck doors? You have added cost for the magnetic and production. I just do not get it.

Perhaps my pricing is just off in left field but I have been in this business for thirty years and this has never changed.

Your price is your price. If so and so does it cheaper, then you don't get the business unless they are a loyal customer and your turn a better product, right? Otherwise, the other guys can have it if it is not worth your time!

We are right at $55 a set (2) for "standard" size vehicle mags. Just FYI.

BUCKY

Your price is your price. If so and so does it cheaper, then you don't get the business unless they are a loyal customer and your turn a better product, right? Otherwise, the other guys can have it if it is not worth your time!

We are right at $55 a set (2) for "standard" size vehicle mags. Just FYI.

So what is your price to letter two doors of a vehicle?

fuzzy_cam

So what is your price to letter two doors of a vehicle?

For that we do not have any sort of set pricing. As with most jobs we do they are bid per-project.

But, for example, a couple weeks ago we did some RTA graphics on a pickup - it had logo, phone number, and some other elements on door, ~60" web link on each side of the bed and one on tailgate for $125.00.

unclebun

The price of signage should not just be the cost of materials and time. This is the biggest mistake younger sign people who have to come into the business without training or mentorship make. Although materials figure into the cost of making the sign, the price of the sign should be based on the value to the customer.

A magnetic sign's average lifespan is probably somewhere on the order of 3-9 months. Not because the materials deteriorate but because people lose them or ruin them. A good door lettering job will last as long as most businesses own their car or truck, and should have more advertising value as well, both because size and design can be better than when constrained by a 1'x2' box, and because with magnetics the business is viewed by potential clients as temporary, new start-up, or fy-by-night. Thus the lettering job should cost a lot more than magnetics because it does a lot more for the owner, and for longer.

fuzzy_cam

The price of signage should not just be the cost of materials and time. This is the biggest mistake younger sign people who have to come into the business without training or mentorship make. Although materials figure into the cost of making the sign, the price of the sign should be based on the value to the customer.

A magnetic sign's average lifespan is probably somewhere on the order of 3-9 months. Not because the materials deteriorate but because people lose them or ruin them. A good door lettering job will last as long as most businesses own their car or truck, and should have more advertising value as well, both because size and design can be better than when constrained by a 1'x2' box, and because with magnetics the business is viewed by potential clients as temporary, new start-up, or fy-by-night. Thus the lettering job should cost a lot more than magnetics because it does a lot more for the owner, and for longer.

Multiple thumbs-up, sir.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Many people use magnets so they can take them off their vehicle at night, turning their "work" vehicle into a "personal" vehicle.

Can't do that with lettering.

equippaint

Many people use magnets so they can take them off their vehicle at night, turning their "work" vehicle into a "personal" vehicle.

Can't do that with lettering.
Put blank magnets over the lettering at night rather than look like some jack leg business during the day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, now that we're on an entirely different subject, but still related to magnets......... to me, they are one of the few things we consider a loss leader. There are many reasons people want magnets on their vehicle. Doubles as a business vehicle, too clunky and beat up to letter, getting a new truck in a few months...... so just put magnets on and the list goes on. However, we don't give them away. We generally get around $165 a pair and sometimes as the other day... $225 a pair. When we letter a vehicle directly, it's at least $400 to $450 for the same area as the magnets. Like he said, there is a certain value associated with having your company truck lettered, vs. temp looking magnets on it.

Marlene

It is getting to the point where we have to have disclaimers for even the simple things these days. We've added a disclaimer for painted walls due to the additives in paint for tape or glue not sticking. It seems that adding for magnetics might be a good idea too.

bannertime

I guess cause I'm kind of an auto guy, I know which vehicles are moving into aluminum. EVERY major truck manufacture has announced that they are going to start using aluminum on the swinging parts. Doors, hoods, tailgates, etc will be all aluminum or other alloys that may not have magnetic properties. That said, magnets will not be an option for trucks made after 2017. However, Chevy and Dodge will still using steel or other alloys on the fixed parts. This is currently not the case for cars as they do not require the lightweight material, but also note that some cars may be using fiberglass or self healing materials on the body. Just like wall graphics and whatnot, you have to test the adhesion. Customers aren't going to know any of this.