• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do?

showcase 66

Earlier today I was driving downtown and I noticed a guy painting a window/side of a building of an old service station. This building has had a lot of work being done to the inside as well as a new car lift among other things. On the way back up I decided to stop by and talk to the guy. I am not the greatest painter and I like to find someone who can do this when somebody asks me about it.

Anyway, we get to talking and he makes the comment that he does this on the side and knows the owner of the building that is why he is doing the painting. I asked if he was licensed to do signs and he said he was not.

Normally I wouldnt care to much if he was licensed or not for doing the windows and doors. According to the ROC, You must be licensed if any and all work on premises is greater in value of $1000. My bid on the signage was $2200 for this place about 6 months ago.

Now I could technically report it and he would get in trouble for doing the work. My beef is not really with this guy doing the work, but the fact the owner is the one who is messing with my business and other sign guys. I would turn the owner in for using a non contractor to do the work, but here is the kicker.

He is our Mayor.

To me this is complete B.S. Our city promotes using our local businesses and the city has gone after people for cutting corners like crazy lately. Mainly for the money they get on the fines.

Part of me wants to turn him in just to prove a point but, I am trying to get the city Fire dept bid.

Locals Find!

Go have a quiet private conversation with the Mayor about this issue and your upcoming bid. Let him know that should it get out about his illegal activities come next election time. It might not be in his best interest.

Its dirty and immoral but, its how business in governments both large and small works.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Oh, go in full bore and complain to building inspections.

I never make the same mistake twice. I make it 5 or 6 times, just to make sure.

:frustrated:

Pat Whatley

...knows the owner of the building that is why he is doing the painting.

You must be licensed if any and all work on premises is greater in value of $1000.

You sure he's not giving the mayor the good buddy discount?

I feel your pain, though. I've been trying for over a year to just get to bid on projects done in my city. I've yet to get any info on any project but I keep seeing work being done....occasionally by shops out of town.

Locals Find!

You sure he's not giving the mayor the good buddy discount?

I feel your pain, though. I've been trying for over a year to just get to bid on projects done in my city. I've yet to get any info on any project but I keep seeing work being done....occasionally by shops out of town.

There is a company out their that provides software to local and state governments for bidding out work. Its call Onvia. I know in lots of cities in Florida you won't see the bids unless your signed up to use the program. You may want to look into it for your area. Here is the link to them www.onvia.com

MontereySigns

Take the high road- don't say anything to either man unless they bring it up. You'll be the better person, sleep better at night, and bank some good karma for another day.

-Bud

signage

All these electected people think they are holier than everyone else. They do not have to play by the same rules in their own minds!

saktrnch

Film it. You never know when whipping out your phone and playing a video for someone may be the handiest thing you did this month.

GoodPeopleFlags

There might be more to the story than you think. You don't know all the details. How will it benefit you to create a stir? My guess is it would do more harm than good. You may end up coming across as someone who is just pissed that he didn't get the job, not as some good citizen trying to expose the evils of government. Mind your own business and move on. I don't mean that smart-assy; I mean it as take care of your own business and don't worry about it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think he's probably not skirting the law... it's not a public building but the Mayors' personal property... right?

Bet it went like this: He gets bid from you.. .DAMN he says... that's a lot of money. Asks buddy what he thinks. Buddy says yeah - that is a lot. If you buy the paint, I can do it for $500 bucks. Mayor says Sure!! Sounds like a good idea.

Does it suck? Yeah... but I don't think it was illegal... just not real nice if you're the signmaker

SignManiac

I would just take care of the business I have and not worry about losing jobs to others. It happens all the time. That's life.

mark in tx

Not for the same reason, but my whole city council is up for a recall election because of some dirty dealings. Sometimes you have to do something about how your local government is run.

WrapperX

...You must be licensed if any and all work on premises is greater in value of $1000. My bid on the signage was $2200 for this place about 6 months ago...

...Bet it went like this: He gets bid from you.. .DAMN he says... that's a lot of money. Asks buddy what he thinks. Buddy says yeah - that is a lot. If you buy the paint, I can do it for $500 bucks. Mayor says Sure!! Sounds like a good idea.

Does it suck? Yeah... but I don't think it was illegal... just not real nice if you're the signmaker

My thoughts exactly Dawg! Who says the work the painter guy is doing is over a $1000? Just because YOU would charge up $2200 doesn't mean that this painter guy/friend is doing it for over $1000. I think Dawg hit it perfectly. Guy is probably being paid for his time and is probably getting a buddy payment out of it as well.

Don't be a tattle tale, just because a local sign shop - like yours - didn't get the job -UNLESS you know for sure that this guy is breaking the law and not only that you KNOW but can PROVE that.

This is like black listing non union workers for doing the same work that a local union does. It makes you look bad when you don't allow a truely free market. If this guy and the Mayor wants to spend personel money and pay a guy to do it on the side for straight cash - that's part of being a free American.

iSign

I wouldn't touch it for all the many valid reasons stated above. Unprovable, and backlashable

showcase 66

My thoughts exactly Dawg! Who says the work the painter guy is doing is over a $1000? Just because YOU would charge up $2200 doesn't mean that this painter guy/friend is doing it for over $1000. I think Dawg hit it perfectly. Guy is probably being paid for his time and is probably getting a buddy payment out of it as well.

The over $1000 has to include any and all work on the premises. Not just the sign work. So with the new roof, all new office add on I am assuming that all of this cost more than a $1000.

I have no intentions on turning him in. The guy doing the painting was cool as hell and I was hoping to use him later if needed. As for not getting the bid, I pretty much new I wouldnt get it anyway. His neighbor is another sign guy here and I figured he would get it.

What pisses me off, is the fact that the mayor has introduced a permit control committee that also patrols the area for people out of compliance with codes and yet he is going around it.

Billct2

In that case an anonymous tip to a locval reporter would get it checked out without your personal involvement. Believe me, I know they will love this kind of story, I am from the land of jailed municipal/state officials.