• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you guys add (or remove) from this wrap install kit?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Can you get this from any other source?

I used to use Bondex nylon patches. Stuff works great and you can find it at any Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondex-Pressure-Sensitive-Nylon-Patches/17370689. If you put down masking tape before you install squeegee covers, they will come off without leaving adhesive. You get about one wrap before you have to replace it.

Now I love geekwraps squeegees, wet edge squeegees, or the rollepro brand adhesive backed micro fleece squeegee covers.

For those of you doing a lot of interior wall murals, buy a 12" mudding knife and add 2" hook Velcro to the blade. I always go back and re-squeegee the edges with a 4" squeegee to make sure it stays down.

SignStudent

I would remove the tape measure. Anyone who's remotely interested in doing wraps should already have at least one.

Replace the scissors with a "snitty" cutter.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Swap Wrap Cut with Knifeless Tech System's tape. Swap Sealit Pen with Edge Lam. IR Gun combined with Torch...lol.
Geek Wrap squeegee is too stiff and the buffer wears out too fast. Get a lidco Teflon Squeegee and add your own changeable buffers.
Get a medium and soft squeegee with buffers as well. Not sure why you have an exacto when you have a snap off blade...I'd go with a multi-cartridge knife by NT Cutter...worth every penny.
Rolle-Pro $50 vs foam roller $2...do the exact same thing. Here's my Kit...for the most part.
Not counting the roller seats, unfolding bench, rags etc.

WrapKit.jpg

thesignexpert

... Not sure why you have an exacto when you have a snap off blade...

Snap blades for long, straight trims and x-acto for tight, intricate trims with curves and corners. Too many years of practice spinning the barrel of a x-acto knife to go back now. It just doesn't feel right pulling that flat snap blade handle around a corner radius. Hahaha

+1 for the rolling chairs!

we used to use knee pads but transitioned over to 1" foam since we have easy access to 4x8 sheets of it. Very useful for prep areas, reusable table covers, long pads to lie down on etc.

Moze, we have been using the GeekWraps emblem remover tool (high Tess string and tabs).

Christian @ 2CT Media

A long time...My installer is over 200 and hes had his going over 2 years he said. We just got our few and they held up to chair races on asphalt. At $25 it can't be beat. We are going to build a tray for the bottom.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Snap blades for long, straight trims and x-acto for tight, intricate trims with curves and corners. Too many years of practice spinning the barrel of a x-acto knife to go back now. It just doesn't feel right pulling that flat snap blade handle around a corner radius. Hahaha

we used to use knee pads but transitioned over to 1" foam since we have easy access to 4x8 sheets of it. Very useful for prep areas, reusable table covers, long pads to lie down on etc.

Moze, we have been using the GeekWraps emblem remover tool (high Tess string and tabs).

I understand the control and sharp angle. That's why using the 30 Degree blade is worth the extra cost.
Highly recommend trying the 30 degree blades in the breakaway NT Cutter. There are so many reasons to use that knife over the olfa knife. Trust me...try one.

thesignexpert

I understand the control and sharp angle. That's why using the 30 Degree blade is worth the extra cost.
Highly recommend trying the 30 degree blades in the breakaway NT Cutter. There are so many reasons to use that knife over the olfa knife. Trust me...try one.

I am looking for the breakaway NY Cutter but all I am finding has the flat handle like the OLFA. This flat shape prevents me from easily and accurately spinning / rolling the blade with my fingers. From hand cutting mask, Unalo / rubylith film, Spaylat, drafting pencils etc. I have built up so much muscle memory that my fingers MUST spin. :Big Laugh

Is there a breakaway cutter that also has the round handle shape? I would be all over that!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That's a nice chair. How long do they last? At 200 lbs I go through a Lowe's/Home Depot rolling chair every couple of years.

We have a couple of the cheap rolling red seat stools that also go up and down which are great. Yes, they are cheap though and will fall apart. The padding is literally a couple of thin pieces of foam (makes you butt hurt after a while), the wheels are total garbage that will last about a year at best, and the through bolts from the seat platform to the post are soft garbage as well. I've rebuilt one with some good quality wheels, carefully took the seat apart and added new t-nuts, used some good quality bolts, and used some scrap 1" neoprene for the padding. Works great now. Since then I've discovered there is a pretty wide variety of them. Hit Northern Tools site and you can find ones ranging from dirt cheap $20 junkers to some pushing up close to $200. Probably going to try a different one next time with a better padded seat and better quality casters.

The casters are the biggest issue - they are thin metal with a very far offset from the center mounting bolt which causes them to wear out very very fast. If the wheels were not so far offset (closer to being under the mounting bolt) they would probably hold up a lot better.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I am looking for the breakaway NY Cutter but all I am finding has the flat handle like the OLFA. This flat shape prevents me from easily and accurately spinning / rolling the blade with my fingers. From hand cutting mask, Unalo / rubylith film, Spaylat, drafting pencils etc. I have built up so much muscle memory that my fingers MUST spin. :Big Laugh

Is there a breakaway cutter that also has the round handle shape? I would be all over that!

The NT Cutter is rounder than the olfa...but it's not going to compete with the exacto in your hand as far as your acquired muscle memory.

Moze

Precision Sign Services

Huh? I didn't say anything lol...

But I do appreciate this thread. Just reading up on some of the tools being used, so thanks for everyone's contributions.