• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you pay? What employees are worth.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So I gotta ask, when was the last time you interviewed or hired a new guy? I'm like you, my core guys are a family, 'newest' old employee has been here 5 years, up to 25 years, and while they still find ways to p*ss me off, they all do their jobs without being asked twice.
We've been struggling to fill just one spot for a shop hand to help our fabricator, ideally someone to apprentice under him but I'd take a strong back that shows up just to move heavy stuff. My recent hires that didn't work out for this position include: a panhandler (who left at lunch and didn't come back until the next morning, his reason was "I needed to make money"), a kid who went back to a previous employer because he wanted something more mindless and repetitive to make his day shorter (painting), a guy from a sign shop in PA that refused to sweep and clean up during down time, a recovering drug addict (best guy in a while, fell off the wagon.), a guy with tons of sign experience who couldn't handle being told what to do by a women (I didn't realize how common this was), and I think that's it for the past 4 months.
It's been a bit, whenever our painter moved, maybe a year ago? One experienced guy was very pompous, he came to me complaining about his current job then turns around a week later and says, I don't want to go back into that dirty work. Had another guy that was promising until he said he can't work past 4pm and some days he has to leave earlier. Older guy on parole who came in 1 day as a test run then never heard from him again. I ended up poaching a guy which I don't like to do but business is business.
The fabricators we deal with have the same stories as you, it's almost a joke. He says, our new shipping guy started today, then the next day he says, guess what, the shipping guy never showed up so I'm back doing it. People coming into work drunk, like plastered. People who claim they can weld but can't or can but are stupid slow. Guys that work for a week and quit because they don't want to work that hard - per their own words. I do think this is par for the course for any sort of industrial job in the south though.

Notarealsignguy

or older employees that can't take direction from someone younger than them... I run into this more often than the sexism.
We have a few spanish guys here and have had people that are the same way with them. I never would have thought that would be an issue for a grown man who claims to be so great at their job. If someone has a rotten attitude or can't get along with the people they work with then it really doesn't matter how good or productive they are.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seems almost everyone has a problem with authority. Youngins don't like listening to old has-beens and old f@rts don't like listening to young whippersnappers who are still wet behind the ears. Seriously though, anyone who has a problem taking directions from someone else, regardless of gender, race, age or whatever.... are really just insecure with themselves and most likely hiding they aren't as good as they think they are. It's one thing to kid around about this stuff, but to let it interfere with certain work environments could be dangerous on some levels.

gnubler

I do think this is par for the course for any sort of industrial job in the south though.
North too, it's the same all over. Some of the blue collar creatures I see roaming around Home Depot are on the rough side. Unintelligible speech, or Drunklish as it's known here. Some of them are my customers! One of my contractors smells like he never bathes, but I'm a beggar and can't be too choosy.

Notarealsignguy

North too, it's the same all over. Some of the blue collar creatures I see roaming around Home Depot are on the rough side. Unintelligible speech, or Drunklish as it's known here. Some of them are my customers! One of my contractors smells like he never bathes, but I'm a beggar and can't be too choosy.
Sorry, that's me. Too busy for a shower.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Use a bidet. It doubles as a shower...... I know someone who does that..... and it ain't me. Hook a 275 HP engine to it and it'll rinse ya from the bottom up. Just don't forget your safety goggles and jock strap.

Notarealsignguy

Use a bidet. It doubles as a shower...... I know someone who does that..... and it ain't me. Hook a 275 HP engine to it and it'll rinse ya from the bottom up. Just don't forget your safety goggles and jock strap.
Oh, I thought that was the water fountain?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You guys jumped on that bidet joke REAL fast. I couldn't even type the sentence before you two got your panties hot and tangled thinking about it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who ain't what ?? Who ain't taking showers and who stands their pants up in the corner when they change clothes at night....... or don't you do that, either ??

Stacey K

I like making signs

4.JPG

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope..... aint' buying it. That's been photoshopped. Too clean. The background doesn't match the clientele and the size of their heads compared to the bricks and window size..... their heads are about 2' tall. Nope...... I'm calling "foul".

mfatty500

You guys jumped on that bidet joke REAL fast. I couldn't even type the sentence before you two got your panties hot and tangled thinking about it.
How do you know they have panties on, to begin with? And if they do, do they match with the bra, if they are wearing one?