• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you price this at?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, that is the worst case scenario and you'd probably be justified getting that much if your whole story took place. What happens if all goes right and as the OP mentioned, it appears a cut file and a print file were included ?? How do you make a claim for $220 for $20 worth of materials and 1/2 hour at most of time from start to finish ?? Are your published hours at $350 an hour plus materails ??

Sure, everyone wants to make as much as they can on every job, but if you use 'worse case scenarios' for all your jobs, won't you get a reputation for ripping people off ??

I'm the first guy around to say, these backyard mechanics undermine the industry, but I'm also the first guy around to say charge accodringly, fairly and honestly. Gouging customers will catch up quite quickly, if you invent storylines like this one in your head.

If you want to make a lotta money on this kind of job, the only practical way is to tell the customer up front, you have a shop minimum of $220, for rear windows or any other job, that only requires 1/2 of work.

ams

Sorry, simple job...but, just getting started and suck at pricing. :)
No design (besides cut file and color bleed), full color print on vinyl with contour cut around letters/logo...installed on rear truck window.
4' wide x 2' tall. Installed. thanks!

attachment.php

I would charge about $145 that includes vinyl and install.

reQ

Sure, everyone wants to make as much as they can on every job, but if you use 'worse case scenarios' for all your jobs, won't you get a reputation for ripping people off ??

We have a good joke in Russia - If grandma would have balls, she would be grampa :). So yeah, i agree here, can't question yourself with "IF" all the time.

Joe300i

So, that is the worst case scenario and you'd probably be justified getting that much if your whole story took place. What happens if all goes right and as the OP mentioned, it appears a cut file and a print file were included ?? How do you make a claim for $220 for $20 worth of materials and 1/2 hour at most of time from start to finish ?? Are your published hours at $350 an hour plus materails ??

I'm the first guy around to say, these backyard mechanics undermine the industry, but I'm also the first guy around to say charge accodringly, fairly and honestly. Gouging customers will catch up quite quickly, if you invent storylines like this one in your head.

If you want to make a lotta money on this kind of job, the only practical way is to tell the customer up front, you have a shop minimum of $220, for rear windows or any other job, that only requires 1/2 of work.

Ok, well, first of all, that "whole story" that I gave happens in my area more often than not. Maybe not that exact scenario, but there's always something else that needs done before the actual job takes place. Now, if you asked "what if all goes right and they give you a cut and print file, and everything goes as planned?. If someone came in and said "here's the cut and print file, I'll pay for it 100% up front right now, and I can have the truck dropped off tomorrow at 10am and I need it back by 4pm"...then I would be at $150. However, it never happens that way with me. I may have been in business longer than you guys (don't take that the wrong way), or perhaps I haven't. I'm just saying that there's always an extra hour of phone calls, emails, and bs. That's just my experience. I do like hearing from other designers with shops though, make no mistake. I don't doubt for a second that I can learn a lot from you guys. I didn't used to be this negative, but after getting ripped off, and scammed out of so much money by trying to be the "nice guy", I've just had it. I still give reasonable prices believe it or not (I'm around $13-$15 for vinyl heat pressed t shirts, $10-$12 sq/ft for vinyl installs on vehicles, $10-$12 per full color yard sign (front / back), but that's including design work. I'll check out some of your websites and work, and I look forward to hearing from you guys in the future!