• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's a good overlaminate or windshield tear for protecting acrylic from scratching?

aluminumwelder

I have a kiosk we manufacturer and it uses a 24x48" piece of 1/4" thick one way mirror acrylic. The stuff is expensive and the thin film of aluminum that creates the transparent mirror scratches easily.

can anyone recommend a good overlaminate film that will protect it from people touching it, fingernails and general use?
I called 3m and some general help guy said they don't make anything (baloney). I have some sample overlminate material from some manufacturers coming in as well. I CALLED some Nascar windowshield tear off companies, none of them have returned my calls.

CAMERA TAKES PHOTOS FROM BEHIND THE MIRROR SO THE FILM MUST BE OPTICALLY CLEAR, NO TINT.

I know I can use glass but Pilkington has a 300 sheet minimum order for 1/8" glass (around $9000) so I'm stuck using acrylic for now.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
The 3M guy was full of baloney... but its not a graphics film so he's probably not familiar with it. 3M Scotchguard Multi-Layer Protective Film 1004MS. The website has tons of information including installation instructions.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ctive-Film-1004MS?N=7574546+3293241118&rt=rud

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/759364O/3m-scotchgard-multi-layer-protective-film-flyer.pdf

I had them send me 12x12 samples and its awesome. We send out exhibits with acrylic shelves and with all the setup and teardown after each tradeshow, they get scratched up easily, so we're going to look into using this. I know its expensive, but I haven't gotten quotes yet. This should probably do what you're needing. Good Luck!

letterman7

Put a layer of 1/8" acrylic over it, secured by small pieces of VHB in the corners. You'll have to modify your frame a little to accept the thicker piece, but it saves on getting (possible) bubbles in any laminate.