• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats a good printer for printing on canvas

abadsvt

I want to start looking for a printer just to use for canvas prints. I know there are printers with 8 color and 12 color archival inks, Is there any specific brands that i should look into? I'm not ready to buy right this second but hopefully in the next few months. Just trying to do some homework. Thanks!

Josh

MachServTech

I want to start looking for a printer just to use for canvas prints. I know there are printers with 8 color and 12 color archival inks, Is there any specific brands that i should look into? I'm not ready to buy right this second but hopefully in the next few months. Just trying to do some homework. Thanks!

Josh

Educate yourself fully on Giclee and fine art reproduction. There are many more questions you need to ask first.

http://www.breathingcolor.com/wordpress/

While this is a good source of info they are also a media manufacturer.

marcsitkin

Any modern Epson, HP, Canon or Mimaki Aqueous Ink printer with at least 8 inks should do it.
Also of concern is proper profiling, material selection, capture setup and viewing area. And a well calibrated monitor is a necessity.

Rooster

Budget for a good liquid laminator as well. Aqueous inks will need to have a protecting coating applied. Both for UV and scratch protection. The clearstar products work awesome for this. Spraying them is a pain and the shit gets everywhere. Rolling them simply takes too damn long.

abadsvt

Thanks everyone! I was surprised to see how much these printers cost. I was expecting more what my roland vp-540 cost. 5k for a 44" epson isn't bad at all. I wish i could see the difference between 4 color print and an 8 color print. Does anyone have a picture of that or do you have both setups? Also i read (thanks for the artical MachServTech) that solvent printed canvas don't need a uv/protective coating. Thats insteresting. Another question. Is the Epson StylusPro 9880 an archival ink or is it a solvent ink? I didn't see it anywhere. Thanks again!

Josh

Rooster

Is the Epson StylusPro 9880 an archival ink or is it a solvent ink? I didn't see it anywhere. Thanks again!

Josh

Epson uses the ultrachrome inks in it's aqueous line up. They are what's referred to as a hybrid pigment ink. This allows it to print on glossy medias, but impacts the lifespan of the inks. They toss a "matte" black into the mix as well. This is their true pigment version of the black ink.

If you're looking to see longevity test results of the major ink brands in aqueous printers go to:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

sfr table hockey

Also i read (thanks for the artical MachServTech) that solvent printed canvas don't need a uv/protective coating.
Josh

I have done the same print on two Roland printers. One waterbased pigmented inks and one solvent. The solvent prints are not bad but when you put side by side with a propper waterbased pigmented (not dye) you will see that the colors are better on the waterbased.

Having said that if you want Giclee you have to use waterbased (I believe) to get the 75 to 100 year life. The canvas you print on can also change the results but solvent are duller.

If you just want canvas prints (don't call them Giclee) then solvent is not bad and there are some good solvent canvas options out there and you don't need to coat.

As for coating the waterbased I do use a roll on and it takes a bit to get the mix right but does look good once done. I use a gloss that mixes with water.

You might be able to get an older Roland (FJ 42 or 52) for under $2000 and they do a nice job on canvas prints. The ink is a lot more $$ with the waterbased pigments than dye but dye won't last nor is it as waterproof.

You can find some good 3rd party waterbased inks but then you need to make profiles.