• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's a 'T' among friends? LOL

G-Artist

STOUGHTON, Wis. (AP) --

A painter working on a Wisconsin water tower left behind one big typo.

The mistake had Stoughton (STOH'-tuhn) residents scratching their heads.

The new paint job had the town's name without the second T.
It was spelled "S-T-O-U-G-H-O-N," rather than "S-T-O-U-G-H-T-O-N."
It turns out a painter from Neumann Co. in Romeoville, Ill., had the correct information
but simply forgot the second T when painting the 6-foot letters.

And the name was spelled right on one side of the tower. It's just the side facing town that's wrong.

Painter Mike Sandmire says it was the first time he had made such an error.
He added that it would be easily fixed with a new coat of paint.

Hmmm...wonder what they used as templates?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Of all places to misspell a word - one visible for miles! I only ever had one misspelling in 35 years, on a hand lettered 4x8 - the word personnel. Customer drove it back over to me and waited while I did a bulletin change - no biggie. Still not sure if that's correct spelling of it.

round man

When you are 110 feet up in a boswains chair drawing letters tall as or twice as tall if you're sitting in the chair it is easy to miss a letter when the line of copy is over 30 or 40 feet long and you can only reach part of one letter at a time. paper patterns are not an option for work this large,they will not work on a compound curved surface,(try putting a 1" line of vinyl copy on a basket ball smoothly,and
in a straight line, with no wrinkles,somewhere other than dead center but lining up horizontally with it).This is especially true up above the treetops and any wind break you would normally have on the ground. Often as not it is an hours work just getting down to use the bathroom. Ok now that you have the picture imagine you have to have a ruler chalk,charcoal,scaled artwork,rags,paint,thinner hooked to your butt,with a harness and lifeline,all while sitting on a board hooked to a seperate block and tackle, just to even think of trying to attempt this job,..... 999 out of a 1000 signmen wouldn't be able to do the job because of the sheer terror and the reaction it would have on their bodily functions,..much less keep their hands from trembling and knees knocking enough to draw much less paint a straight line. Often as not your subconscious will take over and you will if only for a minute or two get "sewing machine knees" and your body will tremble with terror momentarily in a natural reaction once your mind reminds your body that you are in a very dangerous spot.Then the adrenaline kicks in and the few who can handle it will get the job done,..a man can't make any mistakes in a situation like this and every movement be it ever so small has to be meticulously planned and thought out in advance. I could see where it definitely would be easy to miss one letter out of 18 under these circumstances,...mind you the locals might have a field day razzing the guy,but ya gotta admire him ,...he's the one who will have to fix it to get paid,....

Last edited:

OldPaint

4 X 8 MDO, had to prime and paint white, 3 lines of copy, plain block letters one color.
SODAS, SNACKS
CIGARETTES
BEER & ICE
so simple huh? this was all brush painted, no vinyl. was doin the the letters with 10 or 12 in stencil letters, and i would just paint over the connectors. did the 1st line no problem. and i think i shoud tell you at this point i was SMOKING cigarettes at this time, had a pack WITH THE WORD laying right there!!!!!!!!!
laid it out as C-I-G-A-R-E-T-T-S!!!!!!!AND PAINTED IT THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
wife comes home and walks past me and says, "you spelled CIGARETTES wrong!!!!!!
and she just went in the house!!!!!!!!!
i moved here in 1998, met a guy affiliated with the D.A.V. He brought me a 4x8 sheet of metal and i painted it for the DAV. the sign hung on the side of the building, for 4-5 years. the 6 th year the local news channel was doing a piece on service organizations, and showed up in front of their building..........WASNT till one of the news people pointed it out that i had spelled VETERAN wrong. i had V-E-T-R-A-N!!!!!!!!!!

SoCalN8V

The previous owners of our sign business made a sign for a local pizza joint and spelled spaghetti wrong (left out the "h"). The pizza joint guy is a regular customer of ours and one day he said, hey, can you make me a decal that says "Made by Pacific Sign Center". He said that so many people point to him that the word is spelled wrong and wanted to put that decal on there. Now, remember that old sign wasn't made by us, but by the previous owners. We laughed and said, "uh, no". We did tell him that's instead we'd fix it for him. He said, no because he gets a kick out of it.