• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's behind the vinyl?

stoneandtle

In a lighted sign similar to this, what is the vinyl typically attached to (I'm assuming it's vinyl that's been laminated to the backing)? Is it just a large sheet of clear acrylic? Or something else?

Attachments

• sample sign.jpg
    sample sign.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 96

stoneandtle

Is it normally possible to remove the existing sign and re-install new vinyl - or is it just easier to start from scratch with a new piece? I'm wondering whether or not "ghosting" of what used to be there will show through to the new vinyl.

Malkin

Ghosting/yellowing mostly occurs on the parts of lexan that have been exposed to uv (sunlight). This sign is entirely covered in vinyl, so there is a chance that you could do that and have an acceptable result.

In some cases the labor to uninstall/peel/clean is the same or greater than the value of the material.

stoneandtle

I've never priced something this size...I'll call tomorrow, but in the meantime, any idea of a ballpark price for a size of acrylic like this? And what is a 'normal' thickness for a sign like this? Is it better to go with a white or clear acrylic backing - I assume white would be better for sharper contrast?

CentralSigns

You want rollstock lexan in white. You'll have to contact a supplier for price. Few will share pricing outside of the premium section. It's not a fortune though. Your sign face is small compared to most.

petesign

Put it this way, if they want to pay you $50 an hour to try to clean the vinyl and old adhesive off of there with a lil chizzler and some denatured alcohol they *might* save a buck... But your hands will thank you for buying a new sheet...

You might be able to pull the vinyl off of there and flip it over if you are willing to work for it. The white lexan is supposed to diffuse light from behind so I doubt you could see any residue on the back.

Malkin

3/16" white Lexan (polycarb) off a roll. The narrowest my distributor stocks is about 44" or so. You will probably have some waste. Double & triple check the cut size.

Use a cast, translucent (if anything besides black) vinyl for relettering.

Mosh

This size? This can't be 10-12 feet long. Get a new peice of 3/16" polycarb and letter it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a small sign. It might have been lettered second surface clear plastic. That means it was clear poly lettered on the back side and can NOT be re-lettered. Get some white polycarb and use your cricut and letter it first surface (on the front of the panel) and be on your way. My price for a 4x10 lexan panel $550 plus install. Plus any artwork. Simple, two hour job at most.

To letter it second surface sounds like it will be out of yourexperience. This will require reverse lettering and spraying with laceryl ....

Pat Whatley

Depends on the vinyl you're using and how you're printing. Make sure your vinyl has clear adhesive on it and make sure you're laying down enough ink so that the print doesn't look washed out when it's lit.

stoneandtle

I can't print on clear because I don't have white as a color, it would have to be a white vinyl, but I thought translucent white vinyl was available?

CentralSigns

Use white lexan, print on clear with the best ink setting. You can print on clear you just need a white background is all, to have your colors look right.

Craig Sjoquist

What bothers me ... is this is why we go to sign school to learn... excuse the rant

I know this is a forum and we are here to learn, teach, share etc. and I'm glad to.

But did put a ladder up there and touch the surface plus measure. ?
Is it flex face or plastic of some type. ?
Did you see how it might come out screws or rivets on frame ends or top. ?
Do you know about how long that sign has been up there. ?
Do you have or able to get equipment to safely to finish job. ?
Your in a big city what about sign permits. ?

Common sense questions
Doing this type of job is not hard, but these questions need to be answered to deal with this.