Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's best for Dig Printing-design software?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by markz, Sep 30, 2006.

1. markz

markz Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Greetings, what's being used in the Signs101 community to do designs, lettering effects,etc for sending to a vendor to produce dig. prints for signage & vehicle application ?
    Currently, Signwizard isn't the best for this, but we do "tweek" jpeg's in Photoshop7 & "jazz" up the colors occasionally. But, we need to produce better quality designs for large prints, like banners etc. not "part" of the job dig. printed combined with lettering, you know the really sharp stuff.
    thanks upfront ! mark Z:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Please define the context. Are we speaking of vectors when you say "sharp" or are we speaking of flashy layouts?

3. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I think the Adobe design suite- mainly photoshop for bitmaps and Illustrator for vector and vector plus bitmaps. Also Corel is used, but I think the Adobe stuff is better.

Others use Flexisign to do some designing in, as well as assembling parts from all the above progies. It will allow superior printing and print/cut as well.

Cheers,

P

4. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Hey bud, I have Illy CS2, Photoshop CS2, CorelDraw X3 and FlexiPro 8.0v2.... I have others as well but those are my main four that I use. I use Photoshop for raster imaging and cleanup, CorelDraw for general purpose work (75%) and almost all of my vector work. I use Illustrator for hand drawing stuff, and I use Flexi for production. All work that is done in Illy, PS and Corel ends up in Flexi for printing/ cutting. I love how Flexi is so easy to use to manage files to production, but hate it as a design program.

That's how we roll here. If I had to be stuck with only ONE program... I'd say good ole' CorelDraw 8 with CoCut Pro. lol. Not the latest or greatest... but dayum it works well.

5. markz

markz Member

Jan 2, 2005
    thanks to all, So let's see if i got this,..... hey, i just turned 49,so i'm a "hair" slower, first you do the entire layout,design,text,effects etc. in above programs ....then send or export to the dig. print source. meaning inhouse or online sub,right?
    thanks MZ

6. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Yep Mark, you are correct. But, imho, it's personal preference.
    As much as I like Corel, I have to admit that Adobe products are considered the standard that is used by most job shops. So, building your design in Photoshop or Illustrator will give you the least amount of potential headaches when it comes to reproduction. Also, if there are issues, your vendor may be able to make corrections for you.
    That being said, I can do just about anything in Corel and export it to whatever format is required by my vendors, TIF, EPS, PDF, etc. But, if there is a problem with my file, I normally can't rely on my vendor to make the necessary changes or adjustments to get the job into production. And this could potentially delay the project.

Checkers