• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what's best vinyl brand for car roof stripe?

h tee l

New member, glad to be here! .. I've been using Universal Products automotive vinyls to stripe cars and trucks for a long time.. I don't have confidence in their product, however , to use it for 7" wide rally stripes on the roof & hood of a new mustang, I need something that will last a few years in that harsh location. Is there a vinyl product on the market that is recognized as the best choice for this type of job? Also, it's my belief that a metallic vinyl will get weathered more quickly than a non-metallic color, and therfore a poorer choice for longevity. Is this true?

Thanx,
Howie

skyhigh

first thing.... welcome.
You are correct that metallic vinyl does not have the longevity of cast or even calandered vinyl for that matter. As for which brand to use, you can get 5 different answers from 5 different people, although I would feel safe to say that everyone would say 3M is a good choice.

Hollywood

Yes metalics do weather faster than others, and yes 3M is good, but pricey. I would go with Oracal 851, I think 10 years on black & white, 9 years on colors, and 6-7 on metalics I believe, check there website Oracal.com for exact time. Plus it is very easy and good to work with, and the price is better. But, you will here alot of diff. answers its really what people are use to using.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Metallics have an inherently shorter life. Horizontal surface applications also cut the rated life about in half.

That said, Oracal 851 or 3M Scotchcal or Controltac would be equal contenders for my vote.

Hollywood

Thanks Fred, I use alot of Oracal and he is good to here someone like you with the experiance say that, it seems like there's not alot of Oracal fans here for some reasons, but still have those people who swear by Avery, of all vinyl.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hollywood said:
Thanks Fred, I use alot of Oracal and he is good to here someone like you with the experiance say that, it seems like there's not alot of Oracal fans here for some reasons, but still have those people who swear by Avery, of all vinyl.
I'm not so sure I would agree with that assessment. Consider the poll a while back of our members: Vinyl Poll in which roughly 63% say they have Oracal in their shop versus 24% for Avery who at one time was the main player.

Hollywood

Fred Weiss said:
I'm not so sure I would agree with that assessment. Consider the poll a while back of our members: Vinyl Poll in which roughly 63% say they have Oracal in their shop versus 24% for Avery who at one time was the main player.

Sorry Fred, I did'nt see that on here.

Derf

for metallic... I hate to say it But I like Universal --- made by Avery for some reason the Universal Line seems to be unsaved from the Avery curse..

However I have also found Hexis to be a wonderful HP Vinyl Too and great customer service.

h tee l

Thanks for the help with this question... Im gonna be required to use a metallic color on this particular job, and even 3-4 yrs would be ok, and it sounds like the oracal 851 or the 3M should work.

Thanks Again!
Howie

Ursta Graphics

I am very happy with Accu-Cut from Trim USA. I've converted to it because of the Avery failure and it has been outstanding. 3M Is also a great film as well. I use both on a regular basis.

Avery WAS a great film and it's ease of application was incredible but I can't justify giving them another shot after i switched back and it failed again.

Ruben

getting the most out of roof (horizontal) stripings

As a general advise you can make a big difference in durability if you laminate or clearcoat the film that will be used. All films that are used horizontal, especially lighter colors and metallics, will start chalking after a while. Due to the horizontal exposure the pvc deteriorates much faster.
3M even specifies which colors are best to use horizontal.

Good Luck