• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's in a name?

John in Cali

I'm currently on vacation, and as expected I am asked what I do for a living quite a bit. This is a question that has given me pause many times in the past.
I usually respond with "sign maker", which has resulted from "Oh" to "I see". I have used "graphic artist", but that just doesn't seem to accurately describe my career. I have toyed with the moniker of "sign artist", but I'm not sure that is accurate enough. My sign experience over the last 15 or so years is quite varied, and I just can't seem to think of a title that feels comfortable. How do you respond to "What do you do for a living?"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can say.......

I own a sign company..... a sign manufacturing company, we fabricate signs.... all kinds.

Full service sign manufacturing company is the one I use.

Marlene

I usually respond with "sign maker", which has resulted from "Oh" to "I see".

what kind of snotty people are you hanging with? I'd ask them what they did, and no matter what they said, I'd say "oh, I see"...but that's just me and I'm a smarta$$.

2B

depends on the situation,

advertising or graphic advertising tends to be the most accurate. especially since most "sign places" do more than just signs, business cards, t shirts, promotional items, vehicle graphics, etc...

SD&F

I say I own and run a Wholesale sign manufacturing company. They either ask what that means or they say "oh". I think the "oh" means they don't know where to start asking questions.

rjssigns

I say my title is Chief Technology Influencer. Which is true since I make all decisions concerning equipment, software, etc... I only use that on special occasions.

I "borrowed" the term from an acquaintance.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm currently on vacation, and as expected I am asked what I do for a living quite a bit...

Anytime someone asks me what I do is a situation, like yours, where they don't really care, it's just conversation, I try to emulate the title character in "Fletch" and always answer with something different each time.

My responses have thus far varied through 'Coal Smuggler', 'Shepard', 'White Slaver', 'Beaver Pelt Broker', 'Canasta Instructor', 'Safari Consultant', among other things. You have to do it right through and say whatever you choose to be with sort of a verbal shrug in your voice and a look of total disinterest on your face that usually discourage further discourse.

Since no one really cares if you make signs, at least have a little fun with it.

John in Cali

Haha...great answers all.

I'm not the owner, so that kinda puts a different spin on things.

I think all of you touched on the conundrum of the situation...judgmental people who need a smack upside da head...keeping it simple IS appealing....the Fletch scenario works well in my twisted mind.

Thanks all.

TheSnowman

I would normally like to say "I work with complete morons that are allowed to roam around in public every day...and I also make signs."

Si Allen

I have been known to say :

"Hitman for the Mafia".

"International heavy weapons dealer".

"Retired Gigolo".

"Fund Raiser for various causes".

and sometimes ... "Custom Hand Lettering ".

Pat Whatley

I quit telling people I'm a graphic designer years ago because every time the conversation turned into a discussion of their talented nephew/cousin/neighbor/secretary who was also a "graphic designer". Inevitably I'd get defensive and say something stupid.

I tried to just tell people "I make signs because that's what I do." Of course that conversation inevitably lead to them asking me if I can make a peeing Calvin or can I donate signs for their upcoming event or do I know their brother who's got one of them sticker machines in his bedroom.

Now I just tell them I manually masturbate animals for artificial insemination.