Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Whats the best or fastest way to weld thin aluminum?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by 0igo, Nov 3, 2020.

1. 0igo

0igo Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    It’s there a safe way to weld .04 aluminum pieces together? I’m thinking of going out to go buy a welder but I know there’s different types, do any of you have recommendations on what I should use?

Tags:
  2. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    TIG.

3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    It is a skill like most anything and takes time, practice, and good equipment. See if you can rent a rig and do some tests to see if it something you would be comfortable doing.
    I used to do radiator repair and a big part of that was brazing and soldering on very thin copper header tanks, cores & tubes. It took a long while to get good at it. Then radiators started being made of aluminum and plastic......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    .040 is very thin to weld on and I would expect some warping, have a you thought about lords adhesives?

5. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

Not to mention aluminum is one of the hardest metals to weld. .040 will be a nightmare and I would look for other options.

6. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Simpleweldingrods.com

I've not tried these myself yet but I hear really good stuff about them. My uncle uses them to repair the real thin aluminum on his wheel-line field sprinklers when they get shot.

• Like Like x 2
  7. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    I have never had any success welding anything thinner than .080" aluminum.

8. Tessellate

Tessellate New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Before holding a squeegee I was a licensed mechanic turning wrenches in a custom performance shop. Fair share of pushing rod on 6061... 0.04” aluminum is in the pop can world... you need a very stable machine but more importantly - years of practice. Only process that can do that thin gauge would be Tig - and you are basically starting at the hardest process to learn.

as mentioned if possible stick with the two part epoxy’s or if it needs to be welded - look for a local welding shop that specializes in aluminum / stainless / titanium.

Any Joe can use a glue gun and MiG to pieces so ensure the jobber you sub this to isn’t a mouse that makes Swiss cheese:)

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Less about the welder, more about how good you can weld.

I would be looking at a TIG with a soft start feature minimum. even pulse width modulation too.

10. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

.040 is doable but your will probably need a bottle of whiskey and another bottle of zanax. I would use 3m panel bond adhesive or Lord Fusion panel adhesive. If you prep the metal right, the metal will tear before the joint will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    I have welded and been certified for welding aluminum. For something that thin, I would use a TIG welder with a copper backing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. iamclaus

iamclaus New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    Would aluminum soldering be strong enough for your application? It isn’t really welding, as all you’re using is a blowtorch, bringing the area up to temperature, and letting the aluminum solder stick melt and flow into the joints.