• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the difference between jet black and black foil?

MCV

other than price, I see the jet black runs around $10 more for a 45 yd foil. Does the jet black cover better or does it have a special purpose?

MCV

One more thing if printing full color do you need to have the process black or can you substitue the black spot color foil. Sorry new to Gerber printing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I think the Jet Black was released to give a better result (less pinholes) when printing on the Edge Positive film for screen printing.

Not sure what the diff is between spot and process black. I stock both and have never seen any visible difference. The best way to skip the black when printing CMY is to select the Output as CMY in GSPPlot so that the three colors are adjusted automatically to compensate for the black not being there.

MCV

Thank for all the responses.

So process black can be printed like a spot color? does this just have to be compensated for in the software.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i use jet black for my positive printing, and it does work great....it's the only thing i really print jet on mainly because some of the specialty materials (reflective, deluxe silver, and a couple others) pop an incompatible error when i send to print

Horst M

- Gerber Jet Black is defined with a higher value for UV transmission as Gerber Spot Black
- Gerber Process Pro Black is defined with a better resolution for halftone as Gerber Spot Black

smdgrfx

I used spot Black and process Black interchangeably. Doesn't seem to be a difference. I did try the Jet Black for my edge positives, but still found myself having to do double pass for pinholes. I went through one roll and never tried it again.

Thanks for the insight Horst M...