Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the handiest gadget in your shop?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by bob, Dec 12, 2005.

1. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Some of the small pleasures in life are, for me, gleaned from gadgets that actually function. Small things with no downside.

Around these parts that would be a set of four architech's paperweights. Leather bean bags, actually more like leather discus' [or would that be disci?], filled with shot. Indestructable, always handy, and for holding a masked image in place while you register and hinge, nothing is better.

What's in your shop?

Tags:
  2. Bill Preston

Bill Preston Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Lettering brushes.

bill preston

3. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Border marking gadget.

4. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    My hands,if it were not for them,,all these other lil gadgets i have would not be worth a thing!!!!
    :wine-smi:

5. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

a 10 yr old 4" Wallpaper Roller....

6. Dave Stacey

Dave Stacey Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I love my corplast slitter (when I can remember where I set it down!)

7. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The thin line fluorescent light that sits beside the blade of my paper cutter. It makes a much easier job of trimming out lettering after it has been masked. Especially when they're tightly spaced.

A close runner up is the velcro edged squeegee that won't mar unprotected vinyl if it needs additional rubbing down.

8. gtjet

gtjet Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    An application tape roll holder we made that is just a round 1.5 inch diameter pipe mounted to one end of our work/weeding/cutting table, it is 5 foot wide, we put masking tape, magnetic material and laminate on it and it works great. Just roll out what you need and apply. For magetics we just scoot the cutting board closer to that end of the table, it has a ruler on it, so cutting mags are a snap.

9. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

The mini fridge and the tv tuner card in one of the computers thats hooked up to the satelite dish ... this way i can practically live in the shop ... The coro knife and the velcro tiped squeegees are nice to :)

10. PGSigns

PGSigns Active Member

Apr 1, 2005
    The wife, she likes to weed!
    Jimmy

11. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    My arm. It fits just right into the tube of a roll of transfer tape and I'm my own tape application roller.

12. signgirl

signgirl Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Illinois
    lol, same here! I can paper one swipe up too 24 inches bt being able to slip my arm in the roll!

13. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Hard to pick only one tool....I really like my Exacto retractable knife. It has a narrow blade which is easy to swivel when cutting curves to fix @#$@#$, helps weed, and clicks open and closed like a ball point pen so I don't keep stabbing myself accidently with it. I also am partial to my grommet setter. In the early days I would waste 20 minutes hand setting grommets. The coroplast cutter is also wonderful.

14. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Not to be too corny - it would have to be my husband. He is the king of "trash to treasure" and builds whatever he needs to make the job easier. And Jimmy - you got a good woman there if she likes to weed!!! Keep her!!

15. James Chrimes

James Chrimes Very Active Member

Jul 4, 2005
    NEWPORT NH
    My digital camera. Take a picture of the customers vehicle or building, impose their lettering or sign over it and instant sale.

16. xtremegraphics

xtremegraphics Member

Jul 22, 2005
    My new Pen. It sure makes out nice invoices :0)

17. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Computer

My computer, cuts the vinyl, creates/prints invoices, orders inventory, tracks inventory, sends out invoices, and it doesn't ask for a raise!
    :wine-smi:

18. O.T.P. Signs

O.T.P. Signs Member

Nov 9, 2005
    an old laminator that i have turned in to a transfer tape aplication thingy...saves time and no wrinkles!

19. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    my Italian espresso machine - no contest the most important machine in the place :smile: :Australia

20. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

One of my best gadgets is the exacto knife. Coffee machine is a close second:)