• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the learning curve...Gerber Edge

shiver

Hello all you helpful people,

I just picked up a Gerber Edge 2 from a shop that was closing. For those of you who use this printer/cutter, can you please shed some light on the learning curve that comes with learning this equipment. I currently do DTG printing, vinyl signage, and embroidery, so I have knowledge in the industry. I'd just like to get some info from users of what you print with it, what your limitations are and so on. Other than stickers, what is your market with this equipment? It came with Omega software. What's that learning curve like? I do all my designing now in Corel, I use CoCut for cutting, but still design in Corel and drop in CoCut to cut the vinyl.

If it's allot to learn, I may consider selling the equipment and ribbons for what I paid...$6000. I got the Edge 2, a plotter and 40 thermals, some new, some used. So, if I decide it's more than I really want to delve into at this time, let me know if you would be interested in purchasing the equipment. I haven't printed with it yet, but I know it works cuz he showed it to me working in his shop.

I appreciate any help, advice, links and so on to help me make my decision in the endeavor.

Thanks
Shiver

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The learning curve is medium. The Gerber Omega software is designed for running the Edge. A few things are difficult to accomplish with it but most things are pretty straightforward. It will recover your investment on a regular basis just by putting you into the label and small decal business. We use ours for that plus magnetic signs, window graphics vehicle graphics and components in larger signs.

The most difficult thing about it is coming to terms with when and how to best use spot colors versus when to print with process colors.

One extreme caution I will pass along ... When moving or shipping an Edge printer, the print head must be protected and is easy to break. That is a factory repair and will run you almost as much as you spent for the system. The Edge is supplied originally with a clamping system to handle this need. Be sure to use it.

shiver

Thanks Fred,

Since you use it for labels, can you suggest what type of businesses would be best for me to approach who need these. And any suggestions as to how to go about pricing.

Thanks for you help

iSign

In my business, I've made decals and labels for many many different types of clients, but across the board, of all the products and services I offer... approaching a business has never done well for me.

Being here, letting others know I'm here & being genuinely interested in listening to what people think they want or need... and then helping figure out what I can offer to meet their needs has been what keeps me as busy as I can handle and then some.

I think the things you can do with it will grow exponentially as soon as you start using it for jobs that come in naturally. The kind of clients that are already calling and walking through the door are going to help you keep that machine busy. If it's in good shape, you got a good deal.

If your "plotter" is a Gerber Envision... then you got ripped off & you should hurry up and sell the whole package to me for $6K before it loses anymore value! .... just kidding... $6K is good just for the Edge2, & Omega 2.6 ...foils & any plotter makes it sound like a pretty sweet deal. I'd NEVER sell mine for anywhere near that because it's so valuable to me, & if it ever died... I'd get another in a heartbeat.

I print outlines on lettering instead of lining up two colors of cut vinyl, & a lot of simple magnetic signs, small aluminum signs... tons of wholesale orders of custom stickers for artists who want to sell cool designs, or give-away promotional decals people buy from me for the advertising value... Lots of trades people who have bought truck lettering end up with a few free decals I print when I run their jobs. Most of them love those free decals that they end up buying more, using them up & re-ordering every year or so.

As far as learning curve, I only use Omega in much the same way as you use Co-Cut. I design in Illustrator & then import the file into Omega, learn just enough to do my color assignments, set up my cut lines (also imported from Illustrator) and output the file. I've taught entry level employees to run it about 4 times & they have all been able to learn it in a few days.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, check out some of my work that Gerber has on their website HERE!

And check out Fred's work on Gerber's site HERE!

shiver

Wow...you guys are AWESOME!! So, who wants to teach me some things in exchange for free labor (hee hee). Arizona is a nice place to visit this time of year, although I see isign already lives in Paradise and Fred is in Florida, so maybe I'll come to you instead...

Is that a vehicle wrap in your portfoilio? Done with a Gerber Edge. I'm sending my brother to Fellers Training in January to learn to install car wraps. We were going to get the wraps wholesale, but if I can do it with my Edge, that would be a major bonus.

So if training is out of the question, then what part of Omega is crucial for me to learn?

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my questions. I'm starting to get excited about this Edge, but you're first on me list should I decide to sell.

Thanks guys,
Shiver:
:thankyou:

Marlene

The learning curve depends on you mostly as experience with any computer program is helpful when learning a new one. Omega has built in teaching tools, go thru them and you'll get a good overview on how everything works. Things that I use the Edge for are outlines and shadows as it's so much easier to install these types of letters when it's all one piece and you don't have to layer up vinyl. Decals of course. Decals that I apply to magnetics, aluminum signs and coroplast. When I used to screen print, it would have been a real pain to produce the same image in multi sizes as I would have to make a postive and burn a screen for each. With the Edge, I can make just one decal in a ton of sizes no problem.

iSign

Is that a vehicle wrap in your portfoilio? Done with a Gerber Edge.

...if I can do it with my Edge, that would be a major bonus.

yes, it's a wrap done with an edge... but you don't really want to do a full wrap with your edge. You can buy large format inkjet prints for less then your costs to print your own, and you will also save a lot of time with the larger panels.

signage

Go to GSPINC dot com and you can find info and training. Also advantage signs has a lot of info available for the edge along with tricks and care info! Good luck and have fun.