• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the lowest cost printable vinyl + laminate combination for flat signs?

WhatsYourSign?

A local politician has a bunch of ACM panels he wants to re-use and a full color design.

Typically we'd use an Orafol/Oraguard combo but we want to reduce the cost on these as much as possible so I'm trying to figure out what a less expensive material option would be.

The election is in November so they don't need to last forever.

Thanks in advance!

ThatGuy

Are you removing existing graphics? Will you be the one to remove the new graphics at a later time?

If I was going to apply graphic over existing and not have to remove later, Orafol 3641 is cheap white & sticky.
If I will be the one to remove later I would stick with a removable vinyl & laminate.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How many? Do you have a flat bed? If you do you could print on coro and adhesive that to the ACM. Why would you be laminating if it's short term?

WhatsYourSign?

Are you removing existing graphics? Will you be the one to remove the new graphics at a later time?

If I was going to apply graphic over existing and not have to remove later, Orafol 3641 is cheap white & sticky.
If I will be the one to remove later I would stick with a removable vinyl & laminate.

Yep, we're installing over top of the old print.

Not sure if we'll need to deal with them again in another 4 years but if we do, I'll make sure we don't have to remove it.

I'll take a look at the 3641, thanks.

unclebun

Use a "house brand" vinyl with gray air release adhesive from your favorite sign supply house, and don't laminate. They are temporary campaign signs. The ink will last that long.

dale911

President
Definitely no need to laminate those but if you are doing solvent prints, don’t stack them on each other face to face. It takes a few days for them to be able to touch without pulling ink off of one another. If there are any graphics on the panels already, the clear adhesive won’t block them. Check out Lexjet for their HP materials. They have the equivalent of IJ35c for cheap and it is rated exactly the same. They also have the equivalent of 3m 40c for about half of actual 40c with all the same specs and durability.

TimToad

Given the fact that most jurisdictions have time limits on how long political signs can be displayed before and after an election, exposure of these shouldn't be for very long.

When our flatbed has been down or for other very short term jobs, we use a media available from Sign-Mart named RAV. I suspect its very similar to or made by the same folks as Instant One Media. It is 3.5 mil, has air egress, grey adhesive and is around $100 for a 54"x150' roll. It's matching laminate IF NEEDED is similarly priced. My only complaint about it is that it has a distinctly purplish white point to it. Most likely to aid in its opacity, but very noticeable to me.

As others have stated, make sure to slip sheet for your initial delivery and warn your client NOT to stack them on top of each other if you decide not to laminate them.

WhatsYourSign?

Given the fact that most jurisdictions have time limits on how long political signs can be displayed before and after an election, exposure of these shouldn't be for very long.

When our flatbed has been down or for other very short term jobs, we use a media available from Sign-Mart named RAV. I suspect its very similar to or made by the same folks as Instant One Media. It is 3.5 mil, has air egress, grey adhesive and is around $100 for a 54"x150' roll. It's matching laminate IF NEEDED is similarly priced. My only complaint about it is that it has a distinctly purplish white point to it. Most likely to aid in its opacity, but very noticeable to me.

As others have stated, make sure to slip sheet for your initial delivery and warn your client NOT to stack them on top of each other if you decide not to laminate them.

Thanks for the RAV recommendation. I've registered us for an account with Sign-Mart so we can buy some!

TimToad

Thanks for the RAV recommendation. I've registered us for an account with Sign-Mart so we can buy some!
There is also the 6mil semi-rigid media with removable adhesive at a similar price that we use for these kinds of projects. I think it's General Formulations brand, but it doesn't have air egress and it's a clear adhesive so it's not as opaque as the RAV media is.

As with anything going over existing prints or decals, protect yourself by waiving any kind of warranty or assurances that the new decals won't curl at the edges depending on the age and deterioration level of the original print. Cleaning is not enough to guarantee good adhesion on top of used material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You only mentioned a buncha signs. If it's like a dozen or so, I'd tell him we don't use old sh!t over for the sake of our equipment. If it's maybe 200, I would tell him, we don't use old sh!t over for the sake of our equipment. Also, have you seen the condition of these signs ?? They might be dog-eared, bent, or any other number of imperfections, which will hamper putting any graphics down, not to mention cleaning them all. For politicians, I will not do any favors let alone go outta my way to save THEM, money.

equippaint

You only mentioned a buncha signs. If it's like a dozen or so, I'd tell him we don't use old sh!t over for the sake of our equipment. If it's maybe 200, I would tell him, we don't use old sh!t over for the sake of our equipment. Also, have you seen the condition of these signs ?? They might be dog-eared, bent, or any other number of imperfections, which will hamper putting any graphics down, not to mention cleaning them all. For politicians, I will not do any favors let alone go outta my way to save THEM, money.
Exactly. No need to waste time looking at the old ones, a 4x8 sheet of econo 3mm is about $30. Its not even worth the time to clean them off. There is no such thing as a broke politician either.

bannertime

Our literal cheapest is Arlon 510 and DAF SafeguardG. Like $220 for both 54in rolls. "2 year" rating indoor, but more like 3-4 months at most outdoors.