Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the perfect resolution for a larger poster print?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by graphic24, Jul 4, 2019.

1. graphic24

graphic24 New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    On the occassion of "Natonal Mourning Day", I need to print 50, 000 larger posters. But I need to know about the the perfect resolution for a larger poster.

Tags:
  2. alex242

alex242 New Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Chile
    1:1 72 DPI, but depends of the image's quality.

3. 72 DPI is more than enough

4. burgmurk

burgmurk Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Auckland, New Zealand
    some people think an A3 is large...
    i'd agree 72dpi is 'enough' if the poster is A1 or bigger. i'd say minimum was 150dpi if it's smaller than a1.
    'perfect' resolution? 600dpi :p

5. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

If it's just an image 72 dpi is good enough.
    If it has text then my preference is 125dpi.

6. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    I don't know about perfect, but I've always recommended 100 - 150 dpi at full size and you'll usually be satisfied with the output. (All bets are off though if you're printing for a bunch of picky printer operators with loupes in their pockets ;))

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Doesn't the viewing distance matter?

8. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    I think that "Posters" tends to indicate a 5' plus viewing distance. You are correct though, if this were for a POP display at a cash register with a 1 foot viewing distance, you'd want to bump it up somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Bingo. You can't determine the perfect resolution for a print unless you know the viewing distance. Here's the formula:

resolution (ppi) = 600 / viewing distance (feet)

So based on the size of the posters and the place where they'll be hung, estimate how far back people will normally stand to look at the posters. Say you come up with 12 feet, plug that into the formula and your resolution needs to be 600 / 12 feet = 50 ppi.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    1:1 72dpi for images and don't rasterize vector art or text. Badabing bada boom. As for viewing distance, as long as you don't rasterize your vector art/text and your images are 1:1 it doesn't matter. If anything you would downsample some of your higher resolution images to lower file size and RIP faster.

11. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Is the artwork all vector or are there raster elements? You can only go as high for resolution as your highest resolution original raster element. So if you have a stock photo original at 600 dpi and the rest of the layout is vector I'd go as high as I could(in this case 600dpi) - assuming only a couple feet or less viewing distance. But if your raster element is only 72 dpi to begin with, then 600dpi will just "blurr" the missing pixels.

Even if everything is vector to begin with I would just go with 600dpi because it's better to have too may pixels than not enough. If you're not wasting too much time in file-saving or ripping/loading then I'd say go big.

12. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Exactly. That's why you want to use pdf. Vectors are preserved.
    I'd like to add another point here. Let your RIP do the resampling. i.e. No need to resample your images in your working file. Just do the layout with whatever image was given. Unless the image is of poor quality to begin with. If that's the case find something comparable or ask for a better one. Resampling and then trying to do your layout will make for HUGE files and bog your system down tremendously. Too many times I 've seen designers resample a 72dpi image straight from a decent digital camera and then take it into photoshop and create a tiff at 5ft &150dpi then proceed with their layout and ***** because it takes too long to do anything.

13. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    150dpi

14. KeithMan

KeithMan Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Missouri
    Why would you even consider running this on an inkjet? Offset would be the way to go for that quantity.

• Agree Agree x 1