• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats up with these fonts??

Ken

One of my favourite utility fonts is Arial + Arial Black. Helvetica is another.
SO..... in these fonts, WHY do some letters decend below the baseline??
It is usually a rounded letter...C...S...E..( lower case)
I'm just wondering..what is the thinking here??? Why do some(normal) letters extend below the baseline? Whats up with that?
Cheers!
Ken

Ken

Well, yeah..you gotta draw a line..or use a strait edge to see where the "g or s, or c" lines up with the rest of the text. ??
Thanks.
Ken

Dave Drane

Any brush man can tell you that if the rounded letters touched the base lines then it would look smaller than the other letters. It is an optical illusion. Try it for yourself by drawing 2 lines and put some straight letters between them and then get a compasses and draw a round circle.

SignosaurusRex

Right-O Dave, ....Ken, how long you been in the biz? Thats usually one of the first questions That I hear from the new guys around here. The "rounds" of the characters in all fonts will extend above the top line and below the base line of the other characters.....One of the first things we learn in "Hand Lettering".:wink:

Samm

Any brush man can tell you that if the rounded letters touched the base lines then it would look smaller than the other letters. It is an optical illusion. Try it for yourself by drawing 2 lines and put some straight letters between them and then get a compasses and draw a round circle.

Yuppers, if they matched their counterparts they'd look smaller.

Marlene

don't try to correct the desenders as they are in all fonts and suppose to be there. I've seen Gemini letters installed and some one "fixed" them so they are all on the same baseline and you really notice how wrong that looks.

Si Allen

Where is Old paint to tell you that you noobies need to go to a sign school before you buy a pooter and declare yourselves as professionals?

:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh