• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what's wrong with this picture?

rotunda

we've installed a number of park entrance signs over the span of several miles highlighting various landmarks, trail systems and the like. They were installed about 4 years ago, with the graphics printed on a Roland SC540 running Lyson solvent inks, and protected with PPG 2050 anti-graffiti clearcoat. This particular print is mounted above a waterfall, and the area is quite wet throughout the year. The spots appear to be mold spots below the surface, and are most prevalent in areas of blue ink coverage. None of the other installations have this problem, though we've had one other print (from the same printer and inkset) that was predominately blue that did the exact same thing this one did. These are the only prints out of the 11+ years running the Roland that have failed like this. We are at a loss for an explanation; I'm guessing it has something to do with a poorly finished print allowing moisture to be trapped between layers? any insights greatly appreciated...

thanks!

Ro

Attachments

• spotty-prints1.jpg
    spotty-prints1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 116

Craig Sjoquist

Un avoidable problem you claimed mounted above or near a waterfall, that is pure mold maker.

As for the other one has no idea

rotunda

Un avoidable problem you claimed mounted above or near a waterfall, that is pure mold maker.

As for the other one has no idea

Thanks for your response.

I would agree except that there are 3 additional installations with printed signs in the general vicinity that do not show this problem (all were installed at the same time). oddness.

Ro