• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion What's your take on it.................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One of my favorite foods is PIZZA. I can eat it hot, warmed up or cold for leftovers. We have pizza shops on every corner and several in each mall around here, so there's never a question as to where to get pizza. They mostly all have their unique flavors and we'll blended flavors, too. Now, I'm no fan of the chain pizza places like Dominos, Pizza Hut or some of the others, but of the family owned ones all over town. My favorite is...... pepperoni pizza well done/croispy.

So, last night after running some errands, and getting some last minute things done, my wife and I decided to get some pizzas. Got home and called one of our favorite places. Went there, picked it up, exchanged our Merry Christmases back and forth and proceeded home and devoured the pizzas. Then, I got to thinkin.

Most, if not all of them offer a delivery service. Ya pay the same price for the pizza, but you're expected to give the driver a tip. Okay, I understand, they saved you gas money, time and did you a service. So, ya give them maybe a fin. However, if I go and pick it up, I'm not even offered a discount for doing so. I'm not using any utensils, waitress services or anything other than making a pizza and taking the rest of the pressure off of them. Why can't I/we get a discount for doing that ??

Now, this is just s friendly discussion for the holidays, while we're all taking a break from work. Just a fun - friendly discussion.

Merry Christmas​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Back when I was sign boy by day, pizza slinger by night, the chain I worked for added in a $1.50 delivery charge...tip was expected. Big chains I think offer pretty good coupons and discounts for carry out. Don't know about small mom & pop stores. If there was a delivery on a "poor" street or a non-tipper, all the drivers would walk past that order until a manager forced someone to take it...usually a rookie.

WildWestDesigns

This must be a regional difference type of thing.

Around here, the closest non-chain pizza joint from where I'm at is 20 miles. They won't deliver that far out.

Most, if not all of them offer a delivery service. Ya pay the same price for the pizza, but you're expected to give the driver a tip. Okay, I understand, they saved you gas money, time and did you a service. So, ya give them maybe a fin.

Here we also have a delivery charge and tip the driver.

I'm not using any utensils, waitress services or anything other than making a pizza and taking the rest of the pressure off of them. Why can't I/we get a discount for doing that ??

The one that I go to, when we don't make it ourselves (which we do most of the time), doesn't have dine in. Pick up and go. A long bench to wait for your food, but no tables to actually eat the food at.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, all the places we go, have good prices and the pizza in my opinion is great. I think a pepperoni pizza is like $12 or $13. If I ever get a lousy pizza somewhere, I simply never return. We do belong to a private Italian Club, whose pizza is phenomenal. Some people on this site can attest to that, too..... as they've had it when visiting. They only have a large dining area or take-out.

Getting back to the coupons, I think some of the places do have coupons and they even have a collect 10 coupons and get one free pizza in return.

Believe me, I'm not complaing, just thinking out loud.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My wife and I also had pizza for dinner yesterday, from a local (non chain) pizza shop. We ate there, enjoyed the wait staff, and did use their utensils. This place in particular does not offer delivery, and has very good pricing.

Back when I was a youngster, I worked for Domino's. There were always coupons that people could use for carry out only. We even had them in the store, and would use one on everyone's order, whether they asked for it or not. I think that's pretty much how they got it figured.

Occasionally you would run across a coupon that could be used for delivery.
As a delivery driver, I used to scour the papers for the ones that could be used for delivery.

Every driver had a locked cash box, mounted to the wall in the office. When you got back from each delivery, you make sure you had enough to make change for a $20, and stick the rest in your box. Along with the cash, you would deposit all coupons, and tips
At the end of your shift, management would open your box, add the delivery slips, subtract the coupons, and that's how much you owed the store. What ever is left is yours.

I tried to have a coupon for every pizza I delivered, if the customer didn't, because at the end of the night, if it was a $5 off coupon.........that was $5 more dollars in my pocket.
I still haven't figured out if that was morally right or not, but It sure helped offset the minimum wage + 75 cents per delivery that was on my check at the end of the week. I actually made pretty good money at it.

By the way. Back then (1990) the stores cost of a supreme pizza out the door was $1.25.

Morally I didn't think it was right. We did the same thing, we called it "Free Pop" at our location. Honestly it was the only thing keeping drivers there.