• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's Your Training?

What was your primary or initial training for making signs?

• High school, college, art school etc.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • On the job training

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • Self-taught

Votes: 105 64.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

jimdes

Southern Maine Technical College - Associate of Applied Science, Technical Graphics and Design
Maine College of Art - Various workshops and classes
University of Southern Maine - many business classes

On the job - Sign*A*Rama

Self taught - Corel Draw 5.5 - X3, Omega, Many Video tapes and several subscriptions

iSign

kgirl said:
signtrainer.com videos
HAHAHA :biggrin:

I also found support from teachers at a young age & accepted their theory that I had a natural talent in art, though In early years, I never applied it to much other then my art class assignments, I did enjoy doing my best on those assignments. Later I began to inspire myself with "assignments" like painting my Levis jackets, & later my friends jackets.. making my room cool & other objects in my life.

When I ended up designing & building furniture at a fluke job I fell into, I discovered how my aptitude for math could converge with my artistic (& visulation) skills for use in planning 3D projects. At that point I was also discovering finding work without an education may be a challenge worth avoiding, so I aced 2 years architectural drafting... & that led me, in 1989, to a job in NYC at an architectural sign company. Been working with signs ever since.

Jeizzavelle

I started my "signmaker" job knowing computer basics. Was shown how to basically run the omega software and then left on my own. A year and a half later I like to think I am a hell of alot better than I was starting out but I KNOW there is still a ton I need to learn.