• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant When did this all come about.......?????

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just got off the phone with an attorney's office who is looking for some new signs for their new location. These are supposedly learned people, yeah right.

Every other word out of her mouth was uhh, ummm, ya know, like, uhh........... You hear it on the radio these days, on television, person to person and just about everyone thinks the word uhh and umm are words in the English vocabulary. They are so stupid. If you don't know what to say..... don't talk. It sounds a whole lot smarter than saying.... well, we want it to uhhh be tasteful, but umm traditional uh nice looking and ahh you know, uh right ??

That together with all that are now saying...... me and so and so......... how frickin' stupid are the people teaching the kids today who turn into these idiots ?? Don't they hear it or correct it ??

A lawyer talking like that. I'd fire her @ss if she stood up to defend me and sounded as if she just got outta 2nd grade recess.

:frustrated:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Blame social media. Everyone is now used to communicating with email, tweets and ....... forum posts.
Verbal communication is so, like 10 years ago.
But look on the bright side of these advances;
You can now pay with Bitcons at the Chicken Ranch in Nevada!

wayne k
guam usa

equippaint

It is because they are so used to dictating a general thought onto a tape recorder and passing it off to someone else to decipher and do the actual work. They cant function by themselves. He just assumed you were his secretary. Must have been that pretty dress you wore today.

Pat Whatley

Because any idiot can become a lawyer, a congressman, or an actor. For some reason people always want to assume those people are intelligent.

brycesteiner

The attorneys I have dealt with recently are all scared people. They can't speak clearly because they are not sure if what they are saying will come back and bite them, so instead they hem-haw around a lot!

WildWestDesigns

Because any idiot can become a lawyer, a congressman, or an actor. For some reason people always want to assume those people are intelligent.

I'm not to sure my sister and my dad (both are lawyers) would fall under the category of "any idiot", but since they are family, I am biased.

Unfortunately, when it comes to law, medicine (or really any science profession requires some alphabet soup after ones name), tax accounting (my dad actually was both a CPA and his LLM was in taxation, although he went into contract law, it was a very windy day when the apple fell from that tree) one of the prereqs is having a certain level of certification. Doesn't actually matter how well you did on getting that certification, but it does require it.

That's the frustrating part.

JCinNY

We have a special needs child and there are several masters candidates that come to our house to work with our son. The word "like" comes out of their mouth every third word, luckily my teenage son and his friends haven't developed that terrible habit.

Kottwitz-Graphics

The word "like" comes out of their mouth every third word, luckily my teenage son and his friends haven't developed that terrible habit.

Using the word "like" every other word is horrible. That drives me totally Nucking Futs...

As, far as "uhhh", I unfortunately, have that habit (and it is mostly on the phone, when I am leaving a message for someone). It has been explained to me that it is a pause that allows the brain to process what to say next...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
People use 'like' instead of 'is' for much the same reason that they end what would be a declarative sentence in a rising query. It's a way, albeit a micro-way, to avoid responsibility. With 'like', a rising query, and other verbal evasions, making an actual statement is avoided.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My opinion on the word 'like' is simply....... regardless of the subject, something either IS or it ISN'T. It is not like. You like a pet or a girl or boy..... you don't, ya know it's like.............. That dunb habit comes from the same place the uhh and ummm come from, they don't know what they're talking about.

I was not picking on lawyers, but if the foo sh!ts, were it.

It's like uhhh really ummm a nice ahhh day, dude. Totally ummm awesome.​

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Have any been paying attention lately?

"SO" seems to be the new prefix for each sentence whilst the mind gears up in preparation for conversation. Listen to any radio interview...or most anybody speak today.

So is the new like.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Adjectives and other descriptive words are fine. Big words, little words informative words..... all work The last guy in that office often times uttered such hemming and hawing and had the word umm and uhh as backup, when he couldn't use a teleprompter.

Let's keep this off of the political crap, huh ??

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Your question was "when did this all come about". I was just stating that a "genius" idiot now holds the(formally) most respected job in the world, so don't get your hopes high when speaking with the "general" public.

This all came about when Biff took over the alternate universe and set us on a path of destruction.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Have any been paying attention lately?

"SO" seems to be the new prefix for each sentence whilst the mind gears up in preparation for conversation. Listen to any radio interview...or most anybody speak today.

So is the new like.

JB

God I've noticed this lately, mostly in the professional world and it's annoying. Maybe people think it makes them sound sophistacated but I cringe when I hear it.

equippaint

It doesnt help when people dont read anything anymore except stuff they see online and the main form of communication is via text. Then couple it with dumb people that are convinced they are smart and lack of respect for education and you end up with the inability to construct a thought without seeing it first, misuse of your, there, irregardless etc etc. I heard "physical" year the other day from a county board member and almost fell over. Idiots make the memes and the other idiots get their news and american history lessons from them.
Then were all cool with putting a guy with an elementary level of english in office to lead and seriously ask what the problem is.