• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When do you change your ink tank HP5500

vladio

I'm new to this machine and would like to know at what point you change your ink tank on the HP 5500. I'm just finishing up my first set of inks and am at 8% on magenta. Is it bad to run it to 0? Wasn't sure if I'd get air in the line and if so, is that something I should avoid. Thanks in advance.

kanini

The machine will tell you to change when it's time to. You can run it to 0 without any problems at all, at least I did when I had my 5000. You could get a faint line on the print when the machine runs out of ink and stops and you put a new cartridge in though...

HillHouseGraphics

I also have a 60" HP 5500 that I bought many many years ago (workhorse for indoor stuff) I always let it run out. Especially since I do not use aftermarket inks as I found that the UV aftermarket inks fade very quickly if in a window (especially yellow)

vladio

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is a workhorse and I use it for everything. I did some stickers for my cars just to see how they'd turn out and they still look like the day I put them on. I printed on outdoor vinyl with lexjet uv inks. I laminated one and didn't the other and, other than the luster sheen on the laminated one, can't tell the difference. I used my vinyl plotter to contour cut both and they look great. Been on the cars for about 8 months now with no fade.

Thanks again! :thumb:

vladio

Finally hit 0% on the ink. I have to say that this HP uses considerably less ink than my old Encad/Kodak. I couldn't help cutting the old tank open to see what was left and there was some ink left in there. I didn't measure it but there was more than I though.