• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When "your" customers get signage elsewhere

PW66

Could be as simple as the customer ordering online while sat at home watching the TV at night. Never underestimate the power of convenience. Most of our customers are just as busy as we are and can't always justify taking an hour out of their day to organise a relatively unimportant item.
We are not necesarily talking about a corporate rebrand here - sometimes a sign is just a sign.

Black Star

Not A New Member
I really hate when this happens but I really enjoy when they come crawling back after the other guy screwed them over and I get to shove it in their face.

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
I have found it is usually all about the bottom dollar. I get calls frequently from people wanting the lowest price or wanting something TODAY! I get it, we all want to save money. What really gets me fired up is the customer who once worked in the sign industry (supposedly) 15 - 20 years ago and tells me I charge too much for my products and services. Seriously, they have asked at checkout "are you really going to make me pay that price?" They just so happen to be an auto repair and body shop with the highest prices and slowest service around, and I have given them my business and the service was horrible. Ironic!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Run the price up high (2.5x than previous) and require a 100% prepaid cash payment before you will start
Funny thing is before I left for vacation I stayed late and had 6 people mad at me to finish up this stupid job. It's still sitting here 2 weeks later...

JBurton

Signtologist
It's still sitting here 2 weeks later...
Storage fees are not unheard of... I have one that's been here 3 years, from a fine national that was in dispute with the customer, and they'd assured me to slap $50 a month on a bill and they'd pay it when they settled... Well I'll be dipped if the national didn't get purchased by some joint out of Canada... doubt I'll ever see that bill paid.

gnubler

Funny thing is before I left for vacation I stayed late and had 6 people mad at me to finish up this stupid job. It's still sitting here 2 weeks later...
Never fails.

What's been annoying me lately are the calls I get on Fridays around 4:30pm wanting a quote for a fairly detailed job. WTF? Absolute worst time to call, as everyone is tired and the work week is wrapping up. I stopped answering the phone now after 3pm and it's on do not disturb after hours because I get calls & texts at the weirdest hours, even on Sundays.

Gene@mpls

If I am dissatisfied with a company I do not complain [unless it is something they need to know], find someone better. Everyone is different- and not all assholes. Just noticed I am a new member- interesting.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Never fails.

What's been annoying me lately are the calls I get on Fridays around 4:30pm wanting a quote for a fairly detailed job. WTF? Absolute worst time to call, as everyone is tired and the work week is wrapping up. I stopped answering the phone now after 3pm and it's on do not disturb after hours because I get calls & texts at the weirdest hours, even on Sundays.
I get a lot of those late night calls, texts and FB messages. I also sometimes put my phone on DND. Got a FB message last night at 8:30 asking if I could please add 2 shirts to the order they need for tomorrow. This summer has really been on my nerves with people expecting things done asap and adding to orders after, etc. I can charge them as much extra fees as possible but it still takes time away from other things. It's definitely the worst part of the job. My embroidery friend put a post on FB reminding people that if they make changes to their orders after then their order gets put back at the bottom of the pile. She was having SOOOOO many problems with people changing ink colors, thread colors, adding more hats, shirts, etc. She was so mad one week she almost locked the door up. People have become very unorganized and last minute.

JBurton

Signtologist
I can charge them as much extra fees as possible but it still takes time away from other things.
Gotta make sure the fees can offset the drag it puts on other work. If you're charging for your time a $50/hr, then consider what it you would charge to stay, say, 10hr/day, every day. For me, I'd at least tack on 50%, but boosting up to 200% on an overtime basis is not unheard of. (Ever tried to get a tow after midnight or an A/C guy at 6pm?) Consider this your emergency rate. Add a line to your proposal/sales form that states 'last minute production alterations will be completed at our Emergency Rate*'. List the emergency rate elsewhere with the disclaimer of what that is.
People have become very unorganized and last minute.
I think this stems from inflation, folks are paying more than ever for services, so they're assuming the quality of the service will go up too. F*cking idiots.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Here's a sign I lost yesterday to the competition - AND I'M HAPPY ABOUT IT.

Old crabby guy walks in asking if I'm the gal that was in xxxx city, I said no, that was Penny, she retired and sold her business to new people. He asked for one coroplast double sided sign with step stake that says, "STORAGE UNIT FOR RENT" and phone number. I said $25. He YELLED "WHAT!!!!!!" I thought he was joking then I said, yes that's the price. He said, the other shop told me $16!!!!! I said, "Well, that's a great price so you can go there, BYE" He ranted about how I'm expensive. I argued that there's like 15 minutes of labor from start to finish plus material costs, I can't do it for $16 or I can't keep my doors open, $16 is a great price so go back to the other shop. THEN he started pointing his finger at me YELLING "DON'T YOU TELL ME HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS!!!! I ran a business for 42 years inconsulting and those damn doctors made $100 an hour and I'm smarter than they are!!!!!"

WTF!!!!

I said, "Well, $16 is a great price BYE!!!!!!" while I waved like a B*TCH. Then he started ranting about Joe Biden and inflation. I said BYE!!!!!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Gotta make sure the fees can offset the drag it puts on other work. If you're charging for your time a $50/hr, then consider what it you would charge to stay, say, 10hr/day, every day. For me, I'd at least tack on 50%, but boosting up to 200% on an overtime basis is not unheard of. (Ever tried to get a tow after midnight or an A/C guy at 6pm?) Consider this your emergency rate. Add a line to your proposal/sales form that states 'last minute production alterations will be completed at our Emergency Rate*'. List the emergency rate elsewhere with the disclaimer of what that is.

I think this stems from inflation, folks are paying more than ever for services, so they're assuming the quality of the service will go up too. F*cking idiots.
You posted the same time as me. Yes, I think inflation is getting people upset but we not immune to inflation so our prices have to go up also.

You are right on with the Emergency Pricing. I'm going to do that, I like the wording on that! Since I saw her post I've been trying to get the right wording. I might make a sign and put it on my desk that states something similar to what you said. Typically, I can add things on but when it's busy, it's harder to do.

gnubler

I said, "Well, $16 is a great price BYE!!!!!!" while I waved like a B*TCH. Then he started ranting about Joe Biden and inflation. I said BYE!!!!!
I had one wander in yesterday wanting some local campaign signs and stickers that say "FJB". I could tell something was up based on their expression and asked what it stood for...figure it out.

I drink for a reason: people.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, here's a new one. Been lettering this guys trucks, signs and equipment for about 5 or 6 years. Get paid well for what we do....... and right away on the spot. He brought a piece of equipment in Tuesday around lunch and his man forgot to give me the information on it. I called and told the secretary my predicament. Finally, I asked.... is John there, instead of all this back & forth ?? No, he's on vacation fishing out in the ocean all week. Oh...... what's that word ?? Is that a swedish word ?? I don't know what "vacation" means. Anyway, the guy calls me from the boat and says, I want this over there and that over here, use the stuff you have in storage. I interrupt him and tell him they're all the wrong sizes. I can make new ones to fit, but you don't like doing that. Just let it sit there and when I get back next week, we'll figure it out. You don't understand, I have another truck scheduled today and one tomorrow. Then, another on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I need this out by the end of today and you bring it back next week when I have the time.

JBurton

Signtologist
stickers that say "FJB".
WTF, glad you turned it down, but why the f*ck does someone in Idaho care about little old me?
I need this out by the end of today and you bring it back next week when I have the time.
Just tell him it's out front, key's in it. He'll have someone there in a jiffy...
Did I post about the time I got my bucket truck stolen, from a big name crane dealership. They had a cow until they found out the transmission guy they use frequently just picked up 'the white truck out front'.