• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where can I get padded studs?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Where could I buy these? I know Gemini uses them but are there other suppliers? Doesn't have to be exact, just something similar.

gi-789101112.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, let me throw this out there. I am building a 5x15 cabinet with a vacuum formed polycarbonate face. The customer does not want a "pan" so the face is flat except the embossed letters. They previously had one made by another company and the face ended up being sucked into the cabinet. To combat this, they put padded studs behind the black letters to support the face and keep it from sucking in. Because it was behind black letters you didnt see it cast a shadow at night. Now, I dont know if they used hanging bars in their sign but I sure am. Not sure if that is enough but I want to have the padded stud trick ready to fall back on.

Richard2717

In the older Glantz book they list them as Miracle pads. Let me know how many you need and what size I probably have them here. Have not used them in a long time. Would send them for cost of shipping

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
I keep looking for places to buy studs instead of Gemini but I can’t find anywhere that is cheaper lol. They have great prices on studs, way cheaper than McMaster and I love me some McMaster Carr! I have only bought pads fro a Gemini as well.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks. I made some from allthread and ended up not needing them. Having the face mounted with a hanging bar solved the problem they had with a previous sign they had made with another company. They must not of used a hanging bar or made the face too big.