• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where can I get this room ID plaque?

NP_18

I have a client with a several of these room ID plaques in their building and they want to add more, but I can't find this particular one anywhere online. Any idea where I could get one or who makes them? The black section is open and allows a slip of paper to slide in from the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_6171.jpg
    IMG_6171.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 201

CanuckSigns

Do you have a shot from the side?
This looks like an engraved 'window sign' as we call them, layered materials assembled with 3m 467mp and routed out for a panel or piece of paper to be slid in. I'm not sure if anyone really sells them wholesale as opposed to doing it in house, they tend to get very pricey when you are only doing a few. It also looks like they used vinyl for the copy instead of actual engraved copy, we add a final layer of 1/32" white and route out the letters in most cases.

I agree, we would make these in house with our laser engraver, pretty easy but small quantities have a PITA fee added on due to setup time.

NP_18

Do you have a shot from the side?
This looks like an engraved 'window sign' as we call them, layered materials assembled with 3m 467mp and routed out for a panel or piece of paper to be slid in. I'm not sure if anyone really sells them wholesale as opposed to doing it in house, they tend to get very pricey when you are only doing a few. It also looks like they used vinyl for the copy instead of actual engraved copy, we add a final layer of 1/32" white and route out the letters in most cases.

I just have the one picture, but when asked they said that from the side it looks like it has multiple layers. Thanks for the advice!

CanuckSigns

Do you cut separate strips and then assemble, or are you able to cut one layer at a time with the laser?
Personally I cut the background, add a layer, cut the spacer, remove window portion, add a layer for window cover and cut it, then add a layer for the background, then cut that.
I've been considering getting a laser, but from what I understand, this process would not work, but cutting parts to assemble would.

Our process would be:
- mask both sides of acrylic
-cut out the window with the laser, just through the mask
- remove the mask, leaving the window covered
- paint the sign the desired colour
- peel off the mask, revealing the clear window
-attach to backer piece of acrylic using foam tape strips

Text can be done as a tactile process on the face, cut vinyl on face or engraved on the back side through the paint.

CanuckSigns

Ah, so your foam tape acts as a spacer to allow paper to be slid behind the window?
I've previously stocked up on parts to assemble these, but they always look so shoddy when 1/2 of them are just enough crooked that you can see parts of the backer panel, so building them on the plate takes all the guess work out and makes me feel like I'm being reasonable in charging $50+ for a one off window sign.

If someone ordered 1 of there they would be looking at $95 - 150 depending on how much I wanted the job.

CanuckSigns

Hot Damn, actually... Just checked, last single went for $117.20, but this is for one of our biggest clients, that lobs tons of other signage work our direction, so we like to keep them happy as can be.
That one was full ADA, raised copy & braille, but our materials are colored so at least we can have it inside of 30 minutes if nobody interrupts me.

Whenever we do these, I always make up 5-10 blanks up at the same time, the client always forgets a few, and this way they are already 75% made when they call needing 2 more.

For a good client our price would be less, probably around $65-75 for a 1 off

CanuckSigns

They would be ADA with raised tactile & braille

Tactile lettering is super easy with our laser cutter and is actually the fastest way for us to put lettering on a sign, so we usually default to it and the clients like it.

Braille is done with the raster method, we've got our settings pretty dialed in, it takes about 15 minutes to setup the machine and braille a single sign.

CanuckSigns

They would be ADA with raised tactile & braille

Tactile lettering is super easy with our laser cutter and is actually the fastest way for us to put lettering on a sign, so we usually default to it and the clients like it.

Braille is done with the raster method, we've got our settings pretty dialed in, it takes about 15 minutes to setup the machine and braille a single sign.

We have 2 trotec lasers a speedy 300 and a speedy 400, both run for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and have yet to give us any issues in 5+ years